Puerto Octay: To the north of the lake - The fourth step ... Patagonia etc - CycleBlaze

March 4, 2018

Puerto Octay: To the north of the lake

It rained quite a bit overnight and the tent was wet and dirty from debris splashed up by the rain so we took our time in getting up. The intention was to cycle to Puerto Octay at the northern end of the lake today and the prediction was for a cool southerly wind so there was no incentive to rush. Besides, our cycling shorts were still not yet dry after we did our laundry yesterday afternoon.

In the end we got away at about midday with our laundry still not dry - we had to turn to our spare cycling shorts which we don't really enjoy wearing.

The first eight kilometers of today's ride was through the Vincente Perez Rosales National Park. It was in striking contrast to yesterday's boring riding with tall tress and lovely views of the lake. The roadside was surrounded by old volcanic rock for much of the way - the volcano is still active although it last erupted in 1869.

The National Park Vicente Perez Rosales
Heart 0 Comment 0
View back towards the National Park Vicente Perez Rosales
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely views of Volcano Orsono for much of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once out of the national park we started passing through farmland but there were still the occasional forested patches that kept the views enjoyable.

Lunch stop with Volcano Orsono as a backdrop
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of the last climb - Volcano Orsono still there.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had brief thoughts of cutting the day short at Los Cascades but it was too early in the day and the camping available was pretty dire. So we pushed on to Puerto Octay as originally planned and settled in at El Molino campsite late in the afternoon.

Puerto Octay
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,958 km (1,216 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0