Day 78: Thunder Bay to Nipigon - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2010

Day 78: Thunder Bay to Nipigon

I took the Trans-Canada away from the campground ignoring the signs that indicated it is illegal to cycle or walk on the Trans-Canada from Lakeshore Road on west to Thunder Bay. This makes it illegal to cycle or walk to the site where Terry Fox stopped his run and the Terry Fox Memorial. Ironically, this is almost all nicely paved with a five foot wide paved shoulder. I would recommend cycling this section, but not going any further west than the Visitor Centre/Terry Fox Memorial.

I stopped at the spot where Terry Fox ended his run. It is marked by a simple white post on the north side of the highway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.51794,-89.0177&ll=48.51794,-89.0177&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

The road shoulder seemed good for most of the day. However, it was only one foot wide in a couple of places and a couple of trucks blew by without leaving any room. :(

Stayed at Stillwater campground 4.5 km west of Nipigon ($12.43). It is a nice site with free hot showers, but it is a bit noisy since it is so close to the Trans-Canada. It is just 5 km to town. When I went to town for groceries, there were signs for a Marina/campground in Nipigon. It may have been a more convenient place to stay. However, I was quite content where I was.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=49.012,-88.32153&ll=49.012,-88.32153&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

A view towards Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's illegal to ride on the Trans-Canada here. I did anyways. I should note that this is not a problem east of the visitor information centre as there are good shoulders. West of the visitor information centre it quickly becomes a divided highway and I would not recommend it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Sleeping Giant Provincial Park from the Trans-Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The spot where Terry Fox ended his run is marked by a simple white post on the north side of the Trans-Canada highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sign on top of the white post.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the view Terry Fox would have seen when he stopped his run.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at the last kilometre that Terry Fox would have run.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road that leads towards Sleeping Giant Provincial Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campsite just west of Nipigon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 9,257 km (5,749 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0