Day 116: Gander to Clarenville - Four Corners of Canada - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2010

Day 116: Gander to Clarenville

Navigating was easy again - I followed the Trans-Canada the whole way. The hills started near Terra Nova National Park and there were lots of them. They weren't too tough though. In general, the Trans-Canada is well paved and well graded. There were a few signs of road washouts from hurricane Igor along the way.

The weather started clear, then quickly clouded over. There was a strong wind from the south west (30 km/h gusting to 50 km/h). It was a tailwind to Gambo, and then a headwind after that.

A couple wildlife sightings along the way - there was a moose on the road and a fox crossed the highway. Unfortunately, no pictures as they were too fast.

There were a number of helicopters flying in the area. Clarenville is a centre for distributing supplies to the communities isolated by hurricane Igor.

I stayed at Sophia's Heritage B&G ($85) in Clarenville.

I made reservations for near Whitbourne tomorrow. It promises to be an ugly day. The forecast is for light rain and winds of 49 km/h gusting to 70 km/h.

End point:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=48.15414,-53.96234&ll=48.15414,-53.96234&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from Joey's Lookout.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from Joey's Lookout.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joey's Lookout. Joey Smallwood was the premier of Newfoundland when they were made a part of Canada. He is considered to be one of the fathers of confederation. This lookout is near his hometown of Gambo Newfoundland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some rolling road through Terra Nova National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 145 km (90 miles)
Total: 14,160 km (8,793 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0