Day 5: Goethe State Forest to Hagen’s Cove Park - Tagging along with Jude on his US Coast2Coast adventure - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2024

Day 5: Goethe State Forest to Hagen’s Cove Park

Completion and Transition

The few extra miles to a nice State Forest campsite paid off with a great night of sleep for both of us. I woke at 6am and headed down the trail for a run by headlamp to take in the Watermelon Pond trail loop. The predawn sky was beautiful as was the soft single track underfoot. Several pheasants, sandhill cranes and deer flew off as I ran by, enjoying the run until mile 4 where I must have missed the trail marker. Instead of a 7mi run it ended up being 5mi with the last 1mi in deep sand along the road. I was a bit disappointed to miss the rest of the trail and almost headed out to try it again, but used better judgment and headed back to the tent knowing we had another solid ride ahead of us. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Jude was waking up as I arrived back at the deserted campground  (besides our lone tent). We packed up and headed out just after 8am for 20 pre-breakfast miles.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The miles flew by and we arrived in Chiefland at the trailhead for the Nature Coast Path where we had granola and oats for breakfast. We were feeling strong and another 10mi ride brought us to Fanning Springs SP on the Suwanee River where we hoped to see some manatees. This area of Florida along the Suwanee has several springs that bubble up from the Florida aquifer, each supplying up to 100 million gallons of fresh water everyday. The water temps are 72 degrees year round, which the manatees love, especially in the colder winter months, and will swim up from the river to float and feed in the springs. Unfortunately, the recent rains had led to high river water levels and made the springs brown and murky so we couldn’t see any manatees. We still had many miles ahead of us, so we weren’t too disappointed and headed back out on the bike path. We had a tailwind all day again, pushing our average speed on the roads up to 17-18mph with minimal effort, but the bike path was protected from the wind and dropped our speed to 14-15mph. We still preferred the path as it allowed us to ride side by side and talk more easily. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


The 13mi to Cross City went by quickly and we stopped for the bathroom and a water break. The next section was 17mi to Tennille and would be our last ride together. While Jude had lagged a bit the prior day, he was feeling really strong and rode in front the entire way to Tennille, even pulling away from me a couple times. This was a good sign that he was ready to forge ahead on his own. In Tennille, we ate our usual lunch (bagels, peanut butter and hard salami) and I headed out for the 24mi journey to the Hagen’s Cove where we had parked the truck 5 days earlier. Jude would have 36mi to ride on his own to our camping spot at Poorspot Cemetery. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Five miles into my solo ride, Jude called and said his tire was flat. He was still at the gas station talking with some German businessmen and they agreed to help him. I suppressed my protective fatherly instinct to turn around and help him and instead allowed my fatherly instinct of learning by doing to prevail. Pasquale worked on Jude’s tire and Otto needed his Garmin watch recharged since he had lost his cable, so Jude was able to plug his watch into his portable charger and recharge it. Thank you Pasquale and Otto and thank you, Lord, once again for the kindness of strangers! 

Once at the truck, I headed to a UPS store where Elizabeth had shipped Jude’s glasses that finally came in. As I headed back to the rendezvous at the campsite for one more night together, Jude was just turning in as well. A timber harvest operation was underway on much of the land but we pulled into a nice wooded clearing called Poorspot Cemetery. This looked to be a cemetery of just a few families, with multi-generational gravesites dating from the mid-1800s to present day. We were able to set up camp, eat dinner and do one final sorting of gear for Jude’s next leg of the trip. We talked to Elizabeth and the girls and I listened as Jude processed the last few days and looked forward to the next few on his own. After we cleaned up camp and got settled in our tent, it started to rain and we fell asleep to the sound of water dripping and tree frogs croaking. 

What an amazing few days to reflect back on. I’m so excited for Jude as he gets to continue his self-propelled journey. It feels more surreal for me to get back in the truck and tick the miles off a minute at a time. And the weight of his journey now becomes more of a reality for me as I let him go and won’t experience all that he is experiencing each day. For him, it is an adjustment as well. It’s much easier traveling with a partner and friend than alone. He’s most looking forward to setting his own scheduling and figuring out his own rhythms for himself. But he’s least looking forward to the lonely nights without another to not only process but also to experience firsthand this unique adventure he is on. Upon reflection, he said he’s most looking forward to Sundays, to go to church and to talk with people. 

Jude, it has been such a joy not only to join you for these past 5 days, but to also experience the man you are becoming and the way God is shaping you. I look forward to continuing to pray for you and to ride with you on life’s journey as you allow me to join you. 

1 John 2:14: “I write to you young man, because you are strong and the Word of God abides in you.”

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltTree frogs.

Might be invasive Cuban tree frogs.

https://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/frogs/cubantreefrog.shtml
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 85 miles (137 km)
Total: 371 miles (597 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jude HubbardThank you Dad for an incredible experience. I’ll never be able to forget it. Love you.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Peter HubbardI love you, too, Jude! You got this!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Larry MitchellGood job dad …
Reply to this comment
3 months ago