Chanuman to Khemmarat - The first step ... South East Asia - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2016

Chanuman to Khemmarat

Ban Rie Rim Kong did throw in a substantial breakfast which we had managed to arrange for six o'clock so we were on our way by 6:30 with no need to find food along the way.

While approaching a village a small sedan car slowed down, gave a hoot and a big thumbs up before driving on. Upon our arrival in the village, the driver of the car was there to meet us with a couple of bottles of ice cold water and a chat. The kindness and friendliness of the Isaan Thai never ceases to amaze me.

One of the problems with crappy accommodation at Chanuman was that it had no Wifi so we were left to our own devices to find accomodation in Khemmarat. We spent about an hour or so driving almost every street looking for accomodation, We found a lovely resort, which I thought would compensate for last night, but they claimed they were full. We just thought they didn't want the hassle of falangs. Not what we would expect in the Isaan. We finally found "The Room" on the waterfront street upriver from the center of the town. I think the Thai name for it is Wougphadsa (that's the name of the WiFi connection ;-)). Only a fan but spotless despite being quite old and tired but at 280 baht we were very happy. And it has a lovely view of the Mekhong.

The view of the Mekhong from our room at "The Room" in Khemmarat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Which is just as well because it turns out there are number of other options just down the street which we didn't get to look at.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,019 km (1,254 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0