Como to Sirmione: Bike paths in Italy - Poking Around Europe 4.0 - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2017

Como to Sirmione: Bike paths in Italy

After a great deal of discussion last night we went to sleep not really sure where we were going to go this morning. Bellagio was still on the table, but over breakfast we decided the best thing to do was hop a train. Our heads were clearer in the morning, the shared bottle of wine last night no longer making our decision making fuzzy. Off we went to the train station.

We left the Hotel Marco, which we wouldn't recommend, and found the wrong train station. They kindly directed us to the correct one, and I was in buying tickets to Brescia in no time. Buying the tickets was easy, interpretation of the tickets was harder and the fact that the ticket agent spoke not a word of English made it doubly so. A couple of young people came to our rescue, the first doing translation with the ticket agent and then the two of them explaining where in Milan we changed trains. There is more than one station.

The train rolled in, the bike car was last on the train, we sprinted to the back...I mean full on running. Just as we got there the doors rolled shut and the train left. I don't think it was in the station more than 45 seconds. Sheesh. We thought we had explored every permutation of bikes and trains, but we have never missed one before. Back in the station with the nicest policeman ever, who led me to his lovely friend at the car rental place who spoke perfect English and they got us sorted. Disappointingly the next train was two hours later, so we did more exploring of Como on the bikes and had teeny coffees to kill time. When the train pulled in we threw the bikes on the nearest car and walked them back to the bike carriage inside the train, as advised to do. It worked, but it was a pain. We relaxed and ate lunch. I think that was when I unhooked my bike helmet from my handlebar bag...or maybe in all the heaving bikes around it became unsnapped...at any rate, when the train left us in Milano I didn't have it.

We did the same heave the bikes on the first car we were able to in Milano when we changed trains, only this time we didn't bother to move them. The conductor looked at us like we are idiots but shrugged his shoulders and didn't object. He is probably used to dumb tourists. We arrived in Brescia unscathed.

Sculpture at the Como train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Italian trains could use a little cleaning. It makes it hard to see out the window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes in the bike car. Wish we had taken a photo of bikes not in the bike car too hehe.
Heart 0 Comment 0

First stop was a wonderful bike shop where I bought a new helmet. I should have taken more time, but the CN was feeling pressure because we were hoping to get to Sirmione tonight so I bought the first one that fit.

Riding like a local. Leaving the Brescia train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And may I introduce you to...the Green Hornet!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took off down the bike path, and it was a bike path. It was a fantastic ride. We have forgotten how it feels to ride on the flat. We hardly stopped, so there are virtually no pictures, and we pulled into our hotel at 6:45 PM. It was so warm I was still riding in my short sleeved shirt. We often can't do that in the summer at home. Just a fabulous ride. At one point I almost called to Keith to take a picture of an abbey we passed in the sunset, when I thought sunset?? Turn those pedals faster.

Easy riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is that sunset. We had our lights on, front and back. We did have a few hills, we are above the lake here, but it was very straightforward riding and navigating. The path was well marked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If we hadn't missed the damn train we would have been enjoying this in the afternoon. Oh well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have had a delicious dinner and are deep in discussion about where to go tomorrow. This weather is forecast to continue for another week at least. Lucky us!

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 2,112 km (1,312 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0