Col de la Madeleine - Three Seasons Around France: Spring - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2022

Col de la Madeleine

Rachael must have intuited that I’d spend the evening staring at a map of the Vercors, sketching out some fiendish loop stuffed with agonizing climbs and dizzying descents.  Beating me to the punch for a change she did her own research and found a loop on Kormoot that looked manageable to her but just challenging enough to be marketable to me.

Look at this loop I found, she says cheerily over breakfast.  Look at the climb profile!  Look at all the highlights along the way!  We’ll go up the Col de la Madeleine!  Hard to say no to that enthusiastic presentation, so I mentally close the book on a second visit to the Col du Nan or a climb up the Col de la Bataille and agree that this loop looks perfect for the day.

And, she’s right once again.  It is perfect for the day - a beautiful, memorable loop on the opposite side of the Isère that surprises us by rising up high enough to enjoy wonderful views of the Alps over the top of the Vercors.  And I have to admit that a 50 mile ride with 3,500’ of climbing was quite enough of a workout after yesterday’s ride.

Still, I would like to plunge down the Col du Nan again and return when the Combe Laval is open.  Perhaps another visit to the Vercors could still happen someday.

A field of sticks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some dirt and rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Greens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More elegant than the usual wreck in the fields.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Herbs of some sort.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Walnuts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Herringbone.
Heart 2 Comment 0
With a garnish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s a beautiful and varied ride, but here’s the big surprise. Up at 2,000’ several miles west of the Isère we’re far enough back from the Vercors to see over them to the mountains beyond.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Somehow we keep managing to fit this crop into the gallery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You e probably heard of the famous Col de la Madeleine, one of the fearsome alpine passes featured in the Tour de France. This isn’t it. This is the other Madeleine, a midget among passes.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coasting down the opposite side of the Col de la Madeleine. So green!
Heart 2 Comment 0
So many memorable scenes from the day. Hard to winnow them down to a reasonable number.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The abbey church in Saint-Antoine-l'Abbaye, a stop on the route to Compostela.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Saint-Antoine-l'Abbaye.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Saint-Antoine-l'Abbaye. An impressive view to inspire you on your return home from the pilgramage. Mont Blanc?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heading back to the Vercors, still high enough to see beyond. I’m not sure but I think that gaping chasm straight ahead is the Grand Goulet.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Vercors, the French Alps.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view north to Chartreuse. Below is Saint-Antoine-l'Abbaye.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Descending toward the Isère. Such diversity today!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the Isère.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the Isère again now, just a few miles from our home of the moment.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Shot from the same spot two days ago when we arrived. I had no idea then that you could see the Alps through this gap.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pont-en-Royans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The famous balcony houses of Pont-en-Royans.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 52 Miles, 3,600’; for the tour: 1,165 miles, 58,400’

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 1,165 miles (1,875 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWhat a brilliant loop! I'd say that was enough miles and vertical feet to classify it as very challenging. Internet isn't too great where I am now, I'll be looking at the pictures when home.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. It was a brilliant ride, alright. Hope all is well with you.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago