Corbelin to St.Pierre d'Entremont - French Alps 2017 - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2017

Corbelin to St.Pierre d'Entremont

We bid our 'au revoirs' to Gabrielle this morning after she treated us to a beautiful breakfast spread of the biggest croissant ever, fresh pain, beurre and several home made confitures, a soft boiled egg (from her chickens), local cheese, fraises (home grown), yogurt, and coffee. Our destination for the day would be St Pierre d'Entrement in the Chartreuse.

The terrain in the morning was consisted of long rolling hills through well tended farmland. We were stopped for interrogation at one point by two geese. They seemed to begrudgingly approve our passage as they did eventually move along. Notice however, the guy at the back gave us some lip as he and his partner in crime made a dash for their driveway. Entertainment on the road comes in the simplest forms.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were ready for a 'pause cafe by the time we reached Le Pont de Beauvoisin. We saw these adorable 'dowel people' plant pots in an alley next to the church. This fella was missing a geranium, but you can imagine how these could dress up your garden. I have to make some of these when I get home.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Entre Deux Guieres, we crossed from the Savoie to the Isère department. The water in the river was crystal clear, as the mountains lie directly on the doorstep of the town.

Entre deux Guiers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon after leaving town, we headed for the mountains of the Chartreuse and within a few minutes of climbing, we had this view of the countryside we had ridden through. The memorial cross was dated 1873, but there were no other clues as to its significance. I always reflect on the people I've known who lost their lives before their time when I come across these memorials.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Not so long after that, the road wound its way into a spectacular gorge and encountered our first tunnel. I truly love the climbing aspect of cycling but I like to look at the views from a safe distance. I tried to have a look at the gorge over the railing but only got within 5 feet of it and had to back away. We pulled over to mount our headlights and tail lights for this and the upcoming tunnels.

Heart 0 Comment 0

O.K., so this is one of the reasons I love to climb hills: the floral displays are spectacular! I was off the bike doing a happy dance when I spotted these gorgeous orchids, yet to be identified.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here's our destination for today, St. Pierre d'Entremont. It's a recreational playground with what I can only imagine are endless possibilities for hiking. In fact, if you're feeling the need for a jolt of adrenaline, they will guide you on a hike that includes scaling across the face of that mountain!

Heart 0 Comment 0

A member of the welcoming committee. He also approved and let us pass by.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This is the view from our room for the night. All's very well in this corner of the world.

Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our room towards the Chartreuse Massif.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Main street view from our room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 100 km (62 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0