Lacanau-Ocean to Bordeaux City: Pretty much a straight route all day, with the wind in our face.... - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2014

Lacanau-Ocean to Bordeaux City: Pretty much a straight route all day, with the wind in our face....

Today our ride was pretty much a straight shot into Bordeaux city, with hardly a turn. Most of the route was on a former railway bed, so fairly flat, and very well signed. Unfortunately , we should have been going the other way, as we would have had the wind on our backs, rather than in our faces. We met many cyclists going west, and they went wizzing by!

There were very few villages along the way for food, and it was 2:30 before we found a place to stop for lunch. When we got back on our bikes, my Garmin, which was in the sun, read 43.2 degrees celcius. Ouch!!

As we were following the signs into Bordeaux city centre, and came up behind an older man on a bike, and started following him. He finally stopped and asked us what we were looking for. When we explained that we were looking for a hotel, he said, "just follow me." He lead us through the city looking for a hotel. The first one, which looked wonderful, was full, the next one, which looked scary, was also full, (thank god), and the third one, had room, so he left us there. It was extremely nice, at 450EU per night. Maybe not..... ! The hotel clerk, kindly phoned another hotel and found us a beautiful hotel, close by, and a perfect location for exploring the city. Although it was only about 500 meters away, we got lost finding it. A sweet lady, with her 3 children, all on bikes, saw us looking at the map, and spent the next 20 minutes going up and down the busy streets with us, until we found our hotel. Such kind citizens.

We will spend the next two days, exploring this beautiful city, and maybe even give the bikes some time off.

Leaving Lacanau -Ocean. It seemed to be a very popular surfing beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were hundreds of surfers out this morning, along along this huge beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the bike trail was lined in both sides with blooming heather
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to pull over and let this group of over 100 by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The photo does not do it justice, but we came upon this group in a park. About 50 guys and 3 women. They all had this style of bikes, they looked like peddle bike versions of Hells Angels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good Samaritan #1, helping us find a hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good Samaritan #2, helping us find our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our luxury hotel for two nights. It was pure luxury . The breakfast was the best, and the staff were exceptional, as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 miles (126 km)
Total: 1,042 miles (1,677 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0