To Wellington - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

December 29, 1991

To Wellington

This was an off day, and a chance to rest our cycling muscles.  After enjoying our room-delivered breakfast (sausage, eggs, toast, muesli) we did some shopping for food and books while waiting for  our midday ferry departure.  The ferry ride lasted 3 and 1/2 hours and was fairly uneventful.  We arrived in Wellington and followed another biker for a harrowing 1k ride to the Waterloo Hotel - once allegedly the grandest hotel in the southern hemisphere but now just a backpacker's hostel.  

After checking in and unpacking our gear we left for a walking tour of the city.  We passed the government buildings and then climbed steeply up the ridge rimming the city to the Botanic Gardens and a great overview of the city and the bay.  There is a cable car running to the top that we briefly waited for, gave up on, and then saw it pass us just a block later.

From the top we wandered back down the hill into the main commercial area, looking for a dinner spot.  There are many interesting looking choices (lots of Malasian, Thai, Turkish) but, being Sunday night, nearly everything was closed.  We finally found a small, reasonably inexpensive Burmese restaurant and enjoyed satay, spicy prawns and a tasty fried noodle dish.  Afterward we wandered through the town a bit more, looking unsuccessfully for something open for entertainment, and then returned to our room for the night.

Wellington
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wellington
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0