Mug shots - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2018

Mug shots

We’re nearing the end of our twelve day interlude between returning from Canada and flying out to Dubrovnik in a few days.  This is more or less a catchall summary of how things have gone for us this time.  

We’re staying in a new Airbnb this time, in a new neighborhood - Irvington, in inner North Portland.  At first we were very favorably impressed, and were wondering if we should plan on coming back in the future - it’s a decent location; has a good, spacious layout; has convenient storage for the bikes; is well stocked with several considerate touches; and has a washer and dryer.  All great.  But, with each passing day we find new things to dislike: first, the WiFi is quite spotty; then, perhaps related, the electrical system seems fragile - lights flicker, circuit breakers trip when you plug in the coffee maker - making us wonder if we’re in a firetrap; and last night, the door knob to the outer door fell off when I opened it.  Worst of all though is the dampness - we’re in a basement apartment, clothes feel clammy, nothing really dries out.  We’re ready to move on.

Ever-responsible Rachael has gotten out on a significant bike ride nearly every day we’ve been here.  I went out a few times with her, but mostly have been treating this period as an R&R break.  I’ve been enjoying making the rounds at some of my favorite coffee joints and taking leisurely rides around town.  Very therapeutic.  I can’t get too out of condition in two weeks.

The biggest surprise for me has been finding that two weeks feels like long enough this time.  This is much different than when we returned from Albania and left for Canada two weeks later -it felt like we had just arrived and we’re leaving already.  It made a big difference that we weren’t jet-lagged when we arrived - it’s like having an extra four days to work with - but mostly I think it is because we’re starting to get our rhythm down.  We know what we need to do when we hit town, and have gotten better at the storage unit shuffle.   

Overlooking Oaks Bottom. It’s always pretty, but especially in midsummer when the purple loosestrife is in full bloom.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetIt may be pretty, but it's not wanted in BC https://bcinvasives.ca/invasive-species/identify/invasive-plants/purple-loosestrife/
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetNot wanted her either, but as long as we’re stuck with it we might as well enjoy its upside.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Image not found :(
In the 526 Cafe, a few blocks from our room. It was nice to be close enough to stop in here a few times - it’s an old favorite that was always a bit out of the way. An intimate spot, with an art gallery that’s been different every time I’ve come by.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A

E-scooters! They’re everywhere! A four month experimental program began the week before we returned from Canada, and overnight they’ve taken over the city.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekWe were also shocked at the sudden proliferation of the scooters since we left in May.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
On the way to JoLa Cafe. I’m getting an early start, and Rachael will meet me there later for a ride up into the West Hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunrise over Ross Island
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the JoLa Cafe, waiting for my best friend
Heart 1 Comment 0
Climbing through Riverview Cemetery, on our way to Council Crest. This was our only hill ride of the residency, with the purpose of testing out our newly overhauled Bike Fridays before suitcasing them for the tour.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Ron SuchanekAhh, that's one of our favorites. We've done it twice since we got back.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekAhh, that's one of our favorites. We've done it twice since we got back.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekSo is that why you posted this comment twice? Once for each trip up?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
It wouldn’t be a trip to Portland without a few bridge shots. This is the Steele Bridge, from the Broadway Bridge. A bit smoky this morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside Killingsworth Coffee. Rodriguez is back from his fresh tune-up (we dropped him and the Straggler off for a checkup the day after we hit town). And more of those pesky E-scooters!
Heart 1 Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetI noticed you didn't have fenders on your bike for your BC trip and now you have only a rear fender! Any particular reason?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetYou just didn’t notice it before. Rodriguez looked this way in Canada also. Rachael’s Straggler was completely fender-free though. We didn’t feel the need for them because we were assured that it never rains in BC in the summer. We felt a bit betrayed by our friends in the north when this proved not to be true.

So the real mystery is why mine has one, instead of zero. I’m puzzled about that myself.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jacquie GaudetYou realize BC is known as the land of Gore-tex and fleece for a reason?

This summer, though, has been different (as was summer 2017). It seems like the entire province is on fire and we are all hoping for rain--soon.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
On the Broadway Bridge, on one of the less smoky days we’ve seen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking north from the Hawthorne Bridge. Many of the days have been like this, with a sickly grey-brown pall over the valley and very poor visibility. Note that there’s no picture of Mount Hood in this gallery - it was never clear enough to see it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Fifth Quadrant, enjoying a seasonal offering with an attitude: Don’t Worry, Be Hoppy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Spielmann’s Bagels, another favorite I always find time for. While I was sitting here, a guy came up and complimented me on my beautiful bike. I’m always surprised by how well known Rodriguez bikes are.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael got her hair cut short in preparation for our five month tour. They took about four inches off. I haven’t seen it this short since we first met, I don’t think. She looks great!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Smile for the camera! These photos are for future reference, so she can show them to a hairdresser in France when she’s due for a clip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside our Airbnb, on the way to the storage unit. We’re thinking ahead to what life without the Jetta will be like, and this is a trial run to see how much I can comfortably carry in one load. I’ve strapped a duffle bag on the rear rack with a cargo net, and have stuffed both rear panniers and the largest rucksack we have. I’m a bit uncertain how this will go.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It went fine! No problem at all, although next time I think it would work better to have the duffle bag sideways rather than hanging out the back. Who needs a stinkin’ car, anyway? This went well enough that I think I’ll experiment next with picking up beer cans and hauling them to the bottle return center - we could underwrite our next tour this way!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo We have 2 BoB trailers one or both of which might be useful as extra transport capacity. Portland is not all that far from Vancouver Island. If you are interested in possible purchase, let us know. Email shadybrook at shaw dot ca.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesCould work, but then we’d need to acquire extra storage for the BoBs too! I’m kind of enjoying the challenge anyway, and it’s incentive for us to rethink how much we really need some of this stuff we’re shuttling to storage and back. We’ve got some metrics to work with now - how many loads can we work our way down to?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Round two
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0