In Girona: day ride on the Carrilet - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2018

In Girona: day ride on the Carrilet

Yes, I know I said I was taking a bit of a blog break - and I am.  Still though, yesterday’s ride west on the Carrilet was a fine outing, as good as many others in the tour.  Why not put it up too?

The Carrilet is the extensive via verde route that runs from Olot in the west to Girona, and then continues on east to the foothills at the edge of the valley.  We rode the eastern portion yesterday on the way in to Girona, and today we rode it to the west for as far as time allowed.  Since we didn’t get our lazy bodies in motion until nearly noon, time didn’t allow for all that much.  We did manage to fit 40 miles in, but we had to scramble a bit on the way back to make it in before dark.   

The ride was interesting and attractive the whole way.  The western end of Carrilet has the same general character as the the eastern section - a good unpaved surface that generally follows the Ter River upstream for about 15 miles before breaking away and working through the volcanic hills of the Garrotxa.  Until it leaves the river, the route is quite flat and passes through a diverse agricultural landscape.  Much of the route is bordered by small, well maintained garden plots.  I don’t know what the situation is exactly, but it looks like the plots may be leased out or function as a very large community garden.  They all are about the same shape and size and don’t have any residences nearby, so people must come in from elsewhere to cultivate them.

We made it back to Girona just a bit before 5.  As soon as we reached town we headed straight to Eat, Sleep, Bike to drop our bikes off for servicing.  It should work out great - the mechanic speaks English well and inspires confidence.  They’ll each get a good maintenance tuneup and be ready for their upcoming loop of Taiwan.  After dropping them off we walked the half mile back to the hotel, and arrived shaking and quite chilled.  Relocating ourselves down near the tropics is looking more attractive by the day.

Girona is very easy to navigate by bicycle, with a well developed cycle network. Here, we’re just leaving our hotel, biking the wrong way down the path beneath the elevated train line. Soon we’ll figure out we’re going the wrong way and turn around.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Signs of resistance are everywhere. I finally got around to researching what the signs and yellow ribbons are about: they’re in protest of the continued imprisonment of the leaders of last year’s independence movement. They’ve been in jail since last October, pending trial for rebellion, with a possible sentence of 25 years in prison.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Girona, we hit a plane tree bonanza. There’s enough here to cover us through our whole upcoming tour of Taiwan, I’d say.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI always say it's better to have a surplus of plane trees in your back pocket than a deficit. I'm actually surprised you used this image here. You could have put it in with Taiwan photos just for some plane tree nostalgia and to see if anyone noticed it wasn't from Taiwan.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanGot it covered. I’ve been saving a few images for just this purpose, as well as a few wine shots (or is that shots of wine)? No beehives though.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
On the Carrilet, heading west in the direction of Olot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s about a mile-long stretch of the Carrilet that passes through a series of tree plantations, each of a different species. A patch of plane trees, a patch of alders, a patch of aspens, a patch of something catalpa-like.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Overkill. We don’t really need any more plane tree photos, so just think of this as a nice road shot with my traveling partner.
Heart 3 Comment 0

1

Many of the agricultural plots that line the Carrilet have pyramids of giant cane stalks. It looks to me like this is harvest season for this fencing and gardening material - we saw several scenes of men cutting down and stripping cane and burning the refuse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Ter River surprisingly looks like it’s at flood stage.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Carrilet
Heart 2 Comment 0
Along the Carrilet
Heart 3 Comment 0
I was impressed by this colorful, fresh-looking bit of wall art in (I think) Cellera de Ter. And it really is fresh - the artist is still on site, putting on the finishing touches.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I became rather fixated with the trees on this ride, with their colorful bands of vertical lines.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
🎵Tie a yellow ribbon (or a few thousand of them) on the old steel cable🎵
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Carrilet, approaching the hills of Garrotxa
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amer, I think? I should have taken notes, obviously. It really might be helpful to have a dictation device of some sort to take notes with as we ride along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like I said earlier, I became a bit fixated on scenes like this.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Again in Amer. A large flock of pigeons swirling back and forth across the village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way back to Girona, in a bit of a hurry. Tunnel of green.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the Carrilet
Heart 3 Comment 0
Angles. I’m sure of this one, for a refreshing change.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 40 miles, 900’; for the tour: 3,407 miles, 187,800’

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 3,407 miles (5,483 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jen RahnBeautiful photos and video

And love the video song ... "Bailaré contigo hasta el fin del mundo ..."
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownTo Jen RahnI caught that line, too, what a great song.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago