Jersey - English Channel Roundabout - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2018 to September 13, 2018

Jersey

Our two-night, three-day visit to Jersey was great. Such an interesting mix of French and English heritage and such a deep maritime culture. We took the morning ferry from St. Malo and went through Jersey customs in St. Hellier - and were immediately cautioned to cycle on the left side of the road. That takes a bit of concentration but as Jersey roads are relatively quiet, it was a good place to get used to a new way of thinking about traffic. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed in St. Aubin in the lovely 18C Court House Inn, across from the small enclosed harbour. Once settled we set out on a well marked cycle path to La Corbiere lighthouse on the rugged western tip of Jersey, then made our way back through the countryside.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we had rain on our second day we had a leisurely English breakfast and explored St. Hellier's interesting maritime museum. Very lazy day, ending with dinner at the Royal Channel Islands Yacht Club - felt a lot like RVYC!

First (and last) full English breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Hellier's harbour at low tide -- mucky!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our final day on lovely Jersey was sunny and we had a memorable ride up the east coast, across the north side and back through the countryside. Quiet roads, lovely views, friendly people, great cycling!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north to Guernsey
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived back in St. Aubin in time to watch the annual Battle of Britain airshow - it felt like the jets were skimming over our heads.

Heart 2 Comment 0

That evening, we caught the ferry to Portsmouth and enjoyed a remarkably good sleep in our little stateroom. We'd definitely recommend Jersey as a stop on any cycling holiday - and recommend overnight ferries as a way of making great use of sleeping time. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 390 km (242 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0