To the Argentina border again: Another STEEP climb ✅ - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2018

To the Argentina border again: Another STEEP climb ✅

Today we rode back to the border with Argentina passing 3 volcanoes Villarrica, Quetrupillan and Lanin. It was a tough day of climbing with 3800+ft over 50km. We only descended 15km because we had a lunch reservation but what we did was lots of fun. It was a tough climb with a 5km middle section where the grade did not go below 10% and went as high as 16%. I made it but I stopped a few times to get my heart rate down and have a good drink because it was fairly hot. I would rate this climb equivalent to my trip up Mt Ventoux from Malaucene. Other than the volcanoes we rode past a beautiful lake and some waterfalls. Again our lunch was amazing and huge. It is simple food but very tasty. Also it is best to be a carnivore not a herbivore if you want to eat well in Chile. The lunch was so filling that some of our group opted out of dinner (again not me) which is to bad for them because we went to this amazing off the beaten path restaurant where we had salad, meat empanadas, pork ribs and rice. Of course there was another local craft beer. We keep trying to find a bad one but so far no success.

A black face ibis in the tree at the entrance to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The location for our ride today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It seems every time I ride past an animal or bird it makes a sound. While taking a photo of the volcano I heard a gobble gobble so I turned around to find this wild turkey and her chicks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti passing another sign we learned to dislike. It means there is extra lane ahead for slow traffic, translation there is a steep grade and always above 10%.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A local family enjoying a picnic in a pretty beautiful spot
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across 3 young people who had ridden up from the other side. I was pretty impressed until I realized they had e-bikes. Mostly what caught my attention was the cute dog who was along for the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Lanin volcano framed by monkey puzzle trees, the quintessential Chile photo. This volcano is half in Chile and half in Argentina.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice the reflection of the mountains in the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountain stream at our finish point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We keep trying to find a local beer we don’t like, so far no luck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pot roast lunch. If you do not like meat Chile is not the place for you.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant where we had lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This will be my only laundry photo this trip. It is a laundry washing bag that is amazingly useful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me on the climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary on the ride. Christopher opted for a day at the spa which for him was the right choice given the difficulty of the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Ibis outside my hotel room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guide Ernesto, a 3 time national mountain bike champion and an amazing cyclist playing with his young son.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This Canadian is very dry judging by the look on his face.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our group having reached the border.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 271 km (168 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0