Rest Day: Then again maybe not - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 11, 2018

Rest Day: Then again maybe not

SPOILER ALERT!! If you are coming on the next trip and want to be surprised stop reading now.

I am definitely ready for a rest day ie no cycling. While the distances have not been long there has been a fair bit of climbing but the biggest challenge has been the heat. We don’t start riding until 10 or 11AM (remember the Chilean way of life) so we are always riding in the hottest part of the day. Today we took a short nature walk-hike around the reserve culminating with a visit to La Salto Leona/Lion waterfall. Our guide explained the history of the resort, about the native trees and about the indigenous people who live in this area. Next we walked down to the base of the Huilo Huilo falls for a photo opportunity. Hilary and I, being adrenaline junkies went ziplining through the canopy of trees. There were 5 runs with more hiking among the trees. The view was amazing and the longest run was 550m/1800ft. It was great fun. Most of the group opted for a quiet restful afternoon, they may be the smart ones. There are interesting green parrot like birds here and I also saw a fluorescent blue/green lizard on the zipline platform but my camera was with the guide on the other side of the zip. Once done all of this there was still time for a nap, wine and dinner before an early bedtime of 10PM.

The view off our balcony this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The original structure built in the shape of a volcano covered in plant life.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ernosto explains about the native people as he stands between “two totem poles”. They the image of a man and a woman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You have to keep your head up and eyes open as you walk along the board walk because there trees growing up through the walkway. If Deb is trying to pole dance I think she is turning the wrong way😀.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tour leader and our two drivers on the board walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two more wooden sculptures who are there to protect you in the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ernesto, who has a degree in agricultural engineering tells all about the forest and the various trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A microsystem unto itself growing on the south side of the tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another free range dog in the forest. She and her male partner were very quiet and docile as they followed us through the forest clearly hoping for a hand out. They are doing ok in that department because they look well fed and she recently had pups.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Salto La Leona, Lion Waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Christopher modelling his new head gear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Salto Huilo Huilo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Huilo Huilo waterfall without my mug in the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the start of the zipline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary zipping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me zipping. This is the first time either of us had to self brake when zipping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
#3 zip. 360m across 845 m down to the Toro river below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All 5 done and dusted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waliking through the woods who meet our ride after we were finished.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheated death again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These parakeets were entertaining us in the trees off our balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This place makes me feel like a hobbit, oh look I am.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0