What's it All About?: On again... off again... (the map, that is) - Cuba off of the Map (Tours 10 & 11) - 2010 & 2011 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2010

What's it All About?: On again... off again... (the map, that is)

FOR ANY of you who have dreamed about cycling into Cuba's Pinar del Rio province, or are lucky enough to have already done it, you have likely heard about Wally & Barbara Smith and their book "Bicycling Cuba". They have a number of routes they cycled, but one section in particular sounded quite intriguing... (not knowing really anything about Copyright, I won't quote anything)... a section that is NOT ON ANY CURRENT CUBA MAP. Well, does that not sound a little interesting? I should say so. This section they called "Cuba's Skyline Drive" and went on to explain how it goes through the mountains and at times you can look out to sea. There are next to no vehicles and what I just found out this morning on LP (thanks H) is that the road is in great shape. I confirmed on Google maps and sure enough could follow the route from Soroa almost all of the way to San Diego de los Banos. Though it may not be a wild adventure, it seems fitting to describe the journal as I did.

The next question that begs to be answered is what exactly is going on. In a nutshell, cycling mostly the LP Cycling Cuba route: - from Playa Jibacoa to the Playas del Este - to Playa Baracoa - to Las Terrazas - to Soroa - to San Diego de los Banos via the Smith's Skyline route - to Vinales

The bus will be used to return to Havana, likely followed by a leisurely return to Jibacoa and the hotel's endless buffet and beach bumming.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0