Page, ND to Hawley, MN - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 8, 1996

Page, ND to Hawley, MN

Let sleeping dogs lay

Cool day and winds heading our way! Met Ron again and he directed us to a good Chinese restaurant in Fargo where a newspaper photographer took a keen interest in us. Ron also showed us a more direct route to Hawley. It was a safe but busy noisy highway. Dave called our hometown radio station this morning to do a scheduled interview but it is off the air because of technical difficulties, so he got up out of bed for nothing. In Montana and on the reservations, there is a bar/lounge/casino in every hamlet. In North Dakota there is a gas station. In both, the people are so interested in talking to us. I think that will change as we get into more populated areas.

Black dog sleeping in the middle of the road in a sleepy little town.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Erie, population 80, there was a dog sleeping in the middle of the road and we were befriended by the "town dog", a docile yellow pedigreed Lab born with a deformed tail, and so not as valuable. A fox ran along in front of us on the roadside before cutting into a cornfield. Consistent with the Dave Fritsch/George Williams theory that warning signs do not apply to us, we did not comply with detour signs today and ended up at a small bridge under construction. There was no way under or over the bridge so we went around by going on the railroad bridge tracks. Those also went over the stream with no space beside the tracks. Luckily, it was a short bridge and no train came.

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 1,747 miles (2,812 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0