Lafayette, IN to Portland, IN - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 23, 1996

Lafayette, IN to Portland, IN

So that's why all of those telephone poles are broken off 15 feet in the air...

Beautiful day for cycling-sunny but not too hot or humid, pleasant southwest breeze, gently rolling but predominantly level terrain. Passed through Hemlock, IN where a tornado occurred four days ago. Trees and poles torn up, but no one was hurt. We stopped in some shade in the next town and an elderly man came out to chat. He got us a Coke and offered us the use of his bathroom-midwestern generosity/hospitality.

One example of friendly folks--a roadside offer of a drink, restroom, and a friendly chat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ate lunch in Fairmont, IN, the home of James Dean. The restaurant was full of Dean's pictures and news clippings. Surprisingly, Dave didn't want to stop at the James Dean Museum! HaHa! It is amazing how many homes here in the Midwest fly the American Flag daily. We've seen so many hawks at close range that it's become commonplace. We enjoy seeing the little birds harass and even ride along on a hawk. (It makes me think of Pete jumping on the back of Jason R. -a 300 lb. friend - and hitching a ride to class!) Found out (front page of local paper) that Wandering Wheels tour came through town yesterday.

Today's ride: 105 miles (169 km)
Total: 2,916 miles (4,693 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0