Hancock, MD to Thurmont, MD - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 30, 1996

Hancock, MD to Thurmont, MD

Near Camp David

Another day of ups and downs; mostly overcast again and we got to our motel 30 minutes before a tremendous downpour. We rode several miles on the C & O canal -just enough to get muddy. We saw a kingfisher. Memories of all the trips we've done on the canal and those friends with whom we rode; Andy, Skip C., Charlie W., Darrel and Mary Lou, Amy and Rob, Bud and Wes C. East winds today. It's taken 43 days, but I found the perfect restaurant, "Heavenly Gates" in Hagerstown, a Christian run health food restaurant. I had a cold lentil tarragon salad, pasta primavera (even included squash) raisin muffin, and fruit cup. I wanted the apricot-mango cake roll with strawberries for dessert but it wasn't available so I had a "Hummingbird Angelette Cake" (small spice cake with pecans, pineapple, coconut with a flower in the center). The waitress was very friendly; she plans to compete in the 2000 Olympics in the equestrian events (we'll look for Jessica Hall then). Equine management is her planned major in college. She warned us not to stay in Thurmont because the Grand Dragon of the KKK lives there; I'm not sure where he was hiding but it was a pleasant enough town.

Central Maryland. Some of the prettiest scenery of the trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride through the Catoctin Mountain was great, but as always, we didn't stop to see the falls, just flew on by. Stayed at the Cozy Inn, which has been visited by Winston Churchill, FDR, and many others, due to being so close to Camp David. Dave's report: BOTTOM BRACKET IS CLICKING.

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 3,443 miles (5,541 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0