May 3, 2024 - Split to Munich to Toronto - A Hop, Skip and a Jump (Tour 25) - 2024 🇭🇷 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2024

May 3, 2024 - Split to Munich to Toronto

Heart 0 Comment 0

OF COURSE, I was awake well before the alarm time, and lay there listening to the raindrops falling from above to the ground below. Darn. As per the forecast, much water was falling. At least this is what I had been expecting and really, we would have the entire day and flight to dry out again.

We packed the last few things and fortunately the rain was slowly diminishing and when we finally went out into the dark morning, it was only a slight misting which tapered off to nothiing! The walk downhill with the loaded suitcases was much easier than the walk up and within about fifteen easy minutes we were to the bus, boarded and ready to head to Split airport SPU.

As with our arrival, here was this great big new airport with very few people milling about. We went right to the Croatia Airlines desk and checked in our bags - not a blink of an eye at their weights, though one was under 50 lb and the other was pretty well 50.4 lb. Security was a quick breeze through the body scanner and again, our Brooks saddles led to a second check of our panniers, but as soon as the agent knew, they laughed and we were on our way.

Being our last chance, we picked up one more Milka bar for Alexio then waited for our Dash 8 to zip us over the cloud-covered Alps to Munich where we were early to arrive. MUC was busy but not terribly so. I had hoped to head to the lounge but once we were through security and passport control for Terminal 2, it was then I realized that the lounges are in Terminal 1. I did not want to get caught in a line when it was time to board so had to forego the lounge this morning.

What was nice, is that I had organized priority boarding so we had oodles of room to store our carry-on panniers. Before long it was meal time on the plane and tummies were finally satisfied - along with a tasty hoppy ale. I'm not sure why, but the flight was less uncomfortable than the one across a few weeks ago. We had left Munich a bit late but arrived to Toronto yyz about thirty minutes early.

The automated passport control made passage through the airport to the arrivals area very quick and before long we were on our shuttle to the Sandman Signature Hotel - which was WAY more costly than every one of our hotels in Croatia. Canadian hotel prices have gone through the roof in the past few years.

With the time difference - 'now' was late so that was that.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0