October 31st - Taiwan Lockdown - CycleBlaze

October 31, 2021

October 31st

Sunday lunch with Debbie

Is it summer? Not really. It'll be November tomorrow. Nevertheless, this is called 'summer lockdown' and  Taiwan is still under pretty strict measures.   

The cool, wet spell that felt like winter has gone and today the sun is out and it's probably around 29 degrees and once my online class has ended at just gone 11:00 Debbie suggests getting out for a bite to eat. We can ride into town. That sounds like a plan. I'm in.

Dropping to the river at the end of the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

We ride towards a small river, past where I saw a shoe seller the other day, that's about 5 minutes' or so away, then follow its flow to the city's ring road, which takes us another few minutes.  

There's rice growing to our right, spaced between houses and farm buildings, that looks as though it'll  get harvested pretty soon. Across the narrow river it's mostly new-ish homes and apartment blocks. 

The ring road isn't quality cycling and we spend another five minutes going with traffic. It's Sunday, but that means there are more people out cruising around and likely doing the same as us - heading to a place to eat.

The ring road gets to another river and we initially veer along its eastern bank, cycling now on a path that was built not too many years ago. 

The homes are a mixture of old and modern apartments, with the occasional tall house here and there... 'Old' in Taiwan means it's been up for about 40 years.

The path switches from concrete to wood where it has been built over the  flood wall and our wheels create a rattling sound on the thin planks that have come slightly loose. 

I'm surprised there are only a few people out walking in the intermittent  sunshine.

Debbie now on the path next to the other river (Old Street River) that flows on the west side of town
Heart 0 Comment 0

One of Debbie's close friends suggested a Cuban sandwich shop and that's where we head for. It's just on the other side of the river, quite close to the town centre and is right opposite the main fire station. 

It has a table out front and I like dining al fresco and we sit and make ourselves comfortable and I take a self-timed snap as we wait for our meal to arrive. 

It's unclear where the 'Cuban' part comes from, as the people serving us are clearly locals and the sandwich looks like a regular sub-type offering, but they're friendly and the food hits the spot. I was ready for it.

Lunch al fresco
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltReflective tape! Reminds me of my bike and helmet somewhat.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchThis is my 'commuter bike' - you can't be too safe, Bill.
It's dark here by 6:00 and urban traffic can be scary.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Debbie with her Cuban sandwich
Heart 1 Comment 0

We get back on the bike path and follow it to get into the center of town and plan to get a coffee, but I stop after 100 metres as a small window on an old house looks interesting, with a tiny loofah wedged behind one of the rusting metal security bars.

After spending a few minutes looking at clothes in a shop called Net, we walk the bikes along to a nearby 7-Eleven because Debbie has been given 10 vouchers for lattes there.  

Inside there's seating. We're the only two in the place. 

The latte tastes just like the cappuccino I have at around 8:30 this morning in our local 7-Eleven.

Window
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lattes in 7-Eleven
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Sunday market where mostly immigrant workers shop for cheap clothes is still in action and we browse through a couple of racks of clothing that a Nigerian guy has on offer, but the sizes are all xs and we soon get back on the bikes and head for home.

There's a traffic cone on the way that I stop and take a snap of for my Canadian friend g, who currently has a thing for them. This specimen has been badly smashed and there's a motorcycle helmet wedged into the open top of the stump, which has a scooter tyre placed on it. A man across the street looks confused as I bend down and take a photo. He must be wondering what it's all about.

Debbie heads to a fruit and veg shop and I go directly home, but stop twice more when I see a rusting O-bike stripped of its seat and rear wheel and has been left upturned and slightly hidden behind some parked vehicles. 

I guess it's been here for at least a few years. The O-bikes didn't survive for very long - they were one of those rental systems that didn't have any limits on parking. 

Riding the last few blocks home I'm sweating as the sun is now out and it feels like summer again.

For my friend g
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWho wouldn’t be thrilled to receive a gift like this?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham FinchI'll keep my eyes peeled for you!... there must be others around;)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Remnant of the defunct O-Bike rental system
Heart 2 Comment 0
Outside an old house just a block from home
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltInvasive red-eared sliders from the USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eared_slider


The big ones, anyway. The smaller 2 might be common thread turtles.

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/712640
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 707 km (439 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0