Damage: Achilles Tendon and Glutes - From the Compound to the World - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2022

Damage: Achilles Tendon and Glutes

For over a month during the worst of this lockdown, I was confined to my house, that is the 'pet cage' and unable to do much physical activity.  On average the walking steps would be a meager 300-500 per day!  This led, over time, to atrophy of all my lower body muscles:  glutes, hamstrings, quads, calves, and more.  My Achilles tendon started acting up as happens with lack of activity.  There were more of these short periods of pain.

Once we could walk around the compound, the Achilles pain started to get really intense.   The loss of muscles and the sudden onset of walking meant a rapid relapse of the pain.  The doctors knew how to treat it last year, and it was successful.  But now there was no way to visit the clinic and deal with this relapse.  Thankfully I knew what to do by myself and found some creative solutions.

Once the Achilles tendon had healed enough to do some basic walking, my entire body was sore.  Just the simple act of walking put stress on most of the muscle groups, especially the glutes which were not used to a sudden onset of bodyweight.  The road to fitness recovery is going to take many months, maybe even years.

Words can't express how angry I am over this lockdown.  Those in power obviously have no idea what health and fitness is about and have forced us all to be sedentary while we have to heal the damage done ourselves.

Today's ride: 8 km (5 miles)
Total: 95 km (59 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0