Day 15: Hamburg - Grampies Go in Circles Summer 2013 - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2013

Day 15: Hamburg

Today was our day to look around Hamburg, with the bikes safely stashed and no pressure to get anywhere. What woud the Grampies do on such a day? First, of course, is eat - that is at least normal. The Watsons prepared a wonderful breakfast. We then left their temporary apartment and headed..

The Watson's place is in this block. It's a 6 floor
Heart 0 Comment 0

... first to the post office for our first mail back. Hey, this is happening at 15 days in. Usually we desperately abandon weight at 7 days!

Our fiirst mail back. The box is a German post office flat rate offer.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next, in David and Collette's very own neighbourhood is Globe Trotter - five floors of camping and cycling gear. The photos below tell the story of what we saw there. MMost telling is the one of me with the long receipt! Also telling is that we spent over half our Hamburg time there. Then we went back to the post office to mail home further stuff made obsolete by what we got at Globetrotter. Oh,oh, the post office staff are starting to recognize us!

Another look at our immediate neighbourhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Globetrotterrs is very big!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ortlieb backpacks, never seen in North America
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good selection of Ortlieb packs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right off, Dodie spotted these short legged storm pants. They will keep your bottom dry and prevent chafing, while not overheating you in summer riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought one each.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dodie really wants one of these comfy but light chairs,, but we are not about to mail back our existing stools.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were blown away by the selection of Bikeline books. There is another map store in town with more!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More and more cycling maps
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Watson's have convinced us we don't need Hilleberg, Still, if their catalog were not so heavvy I would carry it home to read in the bath!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will take this diret route North, rather than wiggling up along the dike (sorry, sheep).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Country specific gude books by the zillion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adventure books
Heart 0 Comment 0
This place has everything!
Heart 0 Comment 0
An innovative design for inflatable tent "poles"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Errika and Marvin - do you reccognize something in here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the globetrotter stairwell, a chandelierr made from camping pots
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here is even a freezer room to test cold weather gear. In this hot weather I went in there and it felt so great to cool off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wind screen has already been written up bby the Watson's. They savve it has saved them really a lot of fuel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Globetrotter and the Watson's neighbourhood, a U Bahn train runs to downtown and the Rathouse. We had already been in the Rathaus square, but planned to return there. Then the idea was to walk first to Saturn, a major electronics shop, and from there the 2 km or so back through the Rathaus and to St. Michael's church. The church is a major Hamburg sight, but we also figured the 1 km walk would give a good sample of the city core.

The Saturn store was far and away the largest electonics retailer we have ever seen. No North American Best Buy store can touch it. In fact, Best Buy is laughably small by comparison. Saturn lies on an upscale pedestrian shopping street. The whole thing was jammed with people. I mean, this whole thing, this part of the city is major .

All this majorness, though, did not mean they had the simple cable I needed for the Nokia phone. What, do we have to pedal to Norway for that?

Bacck to the Rathaus, and some more shots of its elaborate carved exterior, then off on our transect walk to the church.

A good sample the transect may have been, but the city core is pretty much totally uninteresting. There is at least one pretty big car traffic street, and the rest, save for the canals, is ordinary. The reason, as always, is of course war damage.

The U Bahn to thhe Rathaus
Heart 0 Comment 0
A waist level fountain inside provides Kneipp like opportunity to soak your arms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ratskellarr, a famous concept - but no action in this one today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Rathaus
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the street, so many bakeries. How about these hearth breads!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upscale shopping street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some fashion on the street
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Saturn store. Holy cow!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just a small sample of the automatic espresso machines on offer at Saturn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bback to the square behind the Rathaus
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hammburg does have some nice canals
Heart 0 Comment 0
But generally downtown is ordinary. Ordinary means it looks like Montreal to us, only much cleaner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

St Miichael's itself is "ok". If a church building is "cathedral type", we judge it by how crazily over the top it is. But if a church does not seem to aspire to cathedral-dom, then we will judge it by other standards. Because of Lutheran influence (according to Collette), St Michaels is toned down. Yet it has enough gold trim to be playing in the big leagues. Anyway, it didn't blow us away. Sorry JJ. Faulwasser, and everyone who rebuilt the place in 1907-1912.

St Michael's interrior. Enough gold? Too much? too little?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the U-Bahn and home. Good thing, because the heat and sun had overdosed poor Dodie and slowed her to a crawl. We all felt the Thai restaurant just across the street was as far as we should go in looking for food.

As far as we got in the search for supper. It worked out well, though.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Whether fried by heat or not, I can be relied on to go for a bakery goody. oo wile the Thai lady worked away in her small and unventilated kitchen, I jogged off to a bakery. The first three were already closed, but no worries, since that only covers the first two blocks out. At the fourth bakery, I proudly conducted the whole transaction in German, including enunciating the name of each item I was choosing. Here is one of them. See, Sandra, I can say "mohn"!

Part of dessert. Acquired by Steve's amazing ability to order pastries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0