Villach, Austria to Tarvisio, Italy (Aug. 15, 2022) - CentralEurope - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2022

Villach, Austria to Tarvisio, Italy (Aug. 15, 2022)

The pitch uphill just after crossing the border gets to around 18%, but it's short.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left the small city of Villach this morning around 10 am having enjoyed our stay here and having very positive feelings for the city and for Austria. Last night we had dinner at a Greek restaurant (Restaurant Delphi); it was hopping and the food was very good. This weekend was the holiday celebrating the Assumption of Mary (?); as a consequence, many places were closed and those that were open were busy with family diners.

We had planned what we hoped would be an easy and pleasant day of riding to Tarvisio,  Italy and it did not disappoint! The ride through the valley in Austria was lovely and then once we hit the border (after an 11 am gelato stop because it was muggy out) the scenery and ride just went into overdrive. The  mountains are stunning and right in your face and Dave was pulling over every minute or two for another shot.

The Dolomites loom large.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The requisite selfie.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After crossing the border and climbing out of the forest, you're greeted with this!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We were spoiled by the excellent road/trail conditions in Austria. In Italy the roads, like most things in this wonderful country are more random. Which isn't too say there aren't extraordinarily beautiful stretches as well. . .

Heart 3 Comment 0

We are still on the Alpe Adria route although here it is sometimes signed the FVG 1. Tarvisio has a long lean footprint down the valley and we are staying at a pretty nice resort clinging to the side of the mountain. As I sit here on the deck of the bar I am looking out over the town and across the valley  (plus the flowers on the deck are amazing.) Our room even has a bidet and it’s cushiness (the room, not necessarily the bidet) is a nice change of pace after the 3 days of dorm-like accommodations we recently have had. Plus, the balcony outside our room looks over the town and mountains. 

You can tell you are in Italy;  roads not maintained as well, no cycle paths and even limited sidewalks in the towns, crazier drivers, some litter and decay in the buildings….and just downright in-your-face out-of-sight beauty of the outdoor scenery! Ahh yes, we are in Italy.

We had a “fusion” Italian meal last night at L’Altro Gusto in Tarvisio — its fusion Asian/Italian and was delicious. 

A classy presentation of shrimp tempura.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our  pleasant night was interrupted at 5 am by a call from a neighbor in Central Oregon where we live.  Someone drove a golf ball through a window at our house and there is glass everywhere in the study etc. We always knew this would happen at some point but feel we got unlucky by having it occur when we are away. Fortunately we have friends and neighbors who can help with it while we are gone and good friends already ran out to look at it and provide suggestions:  thank you Stu and Hilary!

Life happens!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt’s unlucky that it happened but lucky you have friends and neighbors to help out. It would be awful to come home and find out all your stuff was stolen or ruined by bad weather.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 423 km (263 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonHey, we ate at the Delphi also!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago