Hancock to Harpers Ferry, WV - Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2009

Hancock to Harpers Ferry, WV

We visited a bike shop in Hancock to deal with some back comfort issues on Dad's bike, but were not able to solve them.

Several of the "homemade" bicycle packing arrangements needed frequent attention or adjustment. These adjustments could be made while at the same time taking needed breaks off the bikes. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes seemed to be able to time our breaks also. Bugs are not much of an issue while riding the bike but are a completely different story when walking. Much of the canal towpath is between the Potomac River and the canal itself. If the canal has not been rewatered, it is likely to be a swampy area, ideal for mosquitoes. I am one of those unfortunate ones that attract biting insects and I may have been acquainted with the ancestors of this crop of mosquitoes dating all the way back to 1976.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Potomac River was dammed in several areas for the purpose of providing water for the canal and also to generate hydroelectric power.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Desert Rose Cafe turned out to be a nice little sandwich shop in Williamsport. Rose ran the shop and made sandwiches (and soups) to order. She featured good wholesome food, but would sell less nutritious items if asked. The homemade chocolate brownies were great. She engaged us (and other customers) in conversation and seemed to be doing exactly what she wanted to be doing with her career. Williamsport is another of the canal towns worth taking a look at. In 1976 I met a man on the street who claimed he had been one of the boys leading mules along the canal when it was still in operation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A portion of the canal known as the Cushwa Basin has been rewatered in Williamsport. There are two buildings operated by the National Park service that feature items of historic interest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hints of the industrial past.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we approached Harpers Ferry the Potomac River became much wider. It is quite scenic upriver of the city. Locals pointed out the nest of a Bald Eagle across the river. To get cross the river to Harpers Ferry you have to climb some stairs.

One would think this sign was unnecessary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes roll easily but are the pits to carry up stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harpers Ferry railroad bridge. For many years it was illegal to trespass on the bridge to get from the canal to Harpers Ferry. Years ago, we still took the risk. I seem to remember that the boards then were laid lengthwise and some of them were damaged, creating a place to suck in and destroy a bicycle wheel. Now that bicycles and pedestrians are permitted on the bridge, the only excitement is when a train happens to come through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view down stream of the Potomac River with the Shenandoah River entering from the right. Again, this is an area of tricky currents resulting in several drownings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had historic Harpers Ferry to ourselves, they seem to roll up the streets at 5:00 p.m.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After 5 pm there really aren't any service available in the historic section of town. We cycled up the road along the Shenandoah River toward our hotel up on the hill.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 289 miles (465 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0