Bolger Center to Georgetown to Bolger Center: - Great Allegheny Passage & C&O Canal - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2009

Bolger Center to Georgetown to Bolger Center:

Mile marker "0" was not much to see

The ride from Bolger Center to Great Falls National Park involved some public roads but also a bicycle lane. We happened to time our visit when the National Park fees were waived.

Artists were swarming all over the Great Falls area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good idea of what the canal looked like when operating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These were the falls that caused George Washington to invest in a company to create a canal along the Potomac River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A canal maid leading mules near the Great Falls Center.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal Maids were quite friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Maids were good at their job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locking through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Muscle power.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More steps. Dad thought it might be easier to wrestle the bike up the bank instead of bouncing up the steps. For the record, the steps are easier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The canal entering Georgetown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the center of Georgetown, the towpath is actually a sidewalk, and during lunch time, crowded with pedestrians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finding the actual beginning of the canal was difficult because of manmade changes to the waterway and of course the roads. We did locate this plaque on a rock. A little underwhelming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way back I saw this big channel catfish in the shallow waters. I waded in and after a bit of a fight dragged it out on shore. The mouth was not nearly as rough as I expected.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Actually, this boy caught the fish, but he allowed us to hold it. Now we know another reason to not swim in this part of the Potomac River near Fletcher's Boathouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 379 miles (610 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0