Training and Biking: Melbourne CBD to Albury by V-Line. Ride to Holbrook. - Canberra to Adelaide Sitting On a Thorn - CycleBlaze

December 18, 2017

Training and Biking: Melbourne CBD to Albury by V-Line. Ride to Holbrook.

Yep... the bike and I are onboard and there’s plenty of space. Thank you VicRail for moving me and the loaded bike easily from CBD Melbourne to Albury.

After a lovely lunch in very attractive central Albury with a friend I hadn’t seen for forty years, I set out up the Hume Highway. It was surprisingly easy to cycle despite it being Australia’s main motorway and pedalling on to it in the relentless afternoon heat.

The shoulder is consistently wide, the gradient is steady and there were basic, well maintained roadside rest areas with water at regular intervals. Today was very hot and all the ride was in the afternoon heat so I regularly soaked my jersey and head sock to keep cooler.

I have turned off the highway into the small town of Holbrook which is well serviced with everything a cycle tourer needs.

Accommodation is a basic, clean, single room for $30 in the Riverina Hotel. Showered, basics bought at the local IGA supermarket then a pub meal. Ready for an early start in the cooler morning tomorrow, but expecting more hot weather ahead.

Southern Cross station Melbourne. Spencer Street. Very bicycle friendly. This is where I arrived from Adelaide on The Overland train, and will depart for Albury on a V-Line train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The V-Line train to Albury-Wodonga. It’s about a 4 hour journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was able to load the bike into the luggage van myself. Yet again rail staff have been friendly and helpful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Murray for the last time on this tour. The NSW-Vic border at Albury-Wodonga.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off the train at Albury and ready to ride... after lunch. Albury station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Albury Rail station’s grand frontage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Impressive bike shop adjacent to the Albury railway station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding down the highway...the Albury entry ramp to the Hume Motorway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tabletop... view from the motorway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Accommodation for tonight. The Riverina Hotel in Holbrook. $30 room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Holbrook hosts one huge submarine. Well worth a look. Over 350km from the ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good news. Pub menu has sausages... and sticky date pudding. Perfect!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It’s still hot. Real hot. NZ Pinot Noir is a cooling influence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of the day. Looking to the west. 42°C max. forecast tomorrow. That looks like a front pushing a wall of hot air. At least my washing will dry:)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,601 km (994 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0