Train Kept A Rollin’ - Across the USA in Stages - Stage 7 - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2023

Train Kept A Rollin’

All Night Long

The Southwest Chief left Chicago yesterday afternoon. At the present time (Sunday evening), I am still on it. 

We were on schedule until having reached Dodge City, Kansas. When we stopped, an announcement was made that an unforeseen crew change was necessary. It resulted in a nearly three hour delay. 

Then, we clipped a car near LaJunta, Colorado! Seriously? Apparently, nobody was hurt and the train was not damaged. Thank goodness. There was another long delay and we fell further behind schedule. 

Three smaller delays occurred after that. One was waiting for our sister train to pass from the opposite direction, in Colorado. Another involved waiting for a New Mexico commuter train to pass. The 3rd was for a maintenance check in Albuquerque. 

I’ll be a late arrival for my hotel reservation in Flagstaff, Arizona and will not be doing any riding today, except approximately 2 miles from the station to the hotel. Hopefully, the rest of the train ride will go well and I will get on the road, as scheduled, tomorrow.

There was some good window scenery!

From the train window, on the way to Raton, New Mexico.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltOn AMTRAK late is the norm. I have been anywhere from 1 1/2 hours late going Chicago to Sacramento, to 12 hours late on the return.

They rent lines from freight and are at their mercy, add to that weather and maintenance. The 12 hour delay was due to 7 hours waiting for track inspection somewhere on the great plains after a tornado passed through plus other smaller delays. It was my last trip on AMTRAK... 2015 I think.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Dino AngeliciTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks. Agree. None of the other options are good. The airlines are having issues and driving across the country is difficult. Hope someday we have a better rail system.
Reply to this comment
8 months ago