Kit Carson to Plymouth - Across the USA in Stages - Stage 7 - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2023

Kit Carson to Plymouth

7.7

At 8000 feet, the day dawned clear and cool. We had 60 miles to ride that were supposed to be all downhill. In total, we dropped close to 7000 feet upon having reached our final destination but this was not an easy ride.

Chuck, about to depart from our lodging in the Eldorado National Forest. It was nice to see pine trees after weeks of mostly desert brush.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got started a little later than usual due to the tough day on Sunday. While there were some long downhill stretches, there were also some uphill climbs. Fifteen miles into the ride, we began a relatively long downhill. It alternated between steeper and more gradual sections. The road also alternated shoulder widths that ranged from wonderful to completely absent. When the shoulder was unacceptable, I stayed where the right tires of a motor vehicle would be. The motor vehicles would have to go around me. Most did but some were not happy about it. I tried to thank those that were considerate but it was not always possible to take my hand from the handlebars for a wave of gratitude. A significant number of California drivers give very minimal space when passing a bicyclist. The state has a 3-foot rule that some seem to take literally. Three feet is a close shave.

CA-88 on the way down. That shoulder is not very wide.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 1:00 pm, we had reached Pine Grove and had descended from 8000 to under 3000 feet elevation. At the Chevron Station, in Pine Grove, there is a convenience store that is really a supermarket with a deli that makes a nice variety of fresh sandwiches. We stopped, partook of the offerings, and rested a bit before moving on.

Climax Street. No shoulder but traffic volume was greatly reduced. Too bad it didn't last for more than a few miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our break, we turned off of the state highway and onto Climax Street. We were at the top of another long descent but this one was on a much quieter road. Climax joined the busier Ridge Road. The surrounding landscape was pleasant to the eyes, offsetting the increased traffic. California has an innate beauty that attracts many people.

Scenic Amador County.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The hills are covered with tan grasses that are offset with green trees, shrubs, flowers, and rocks. There are cattle and horses. The California gold rush included this area and it is wine country as well. We passed through the quaint and historic towns of Sutter Creek and Amador City.

Chuck riding through Sutter Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Historical display at the entrance to the Lincoln Mining Company.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More scenery in Amador County.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had some gentle downhill stretches that were followed by a few climbs in this undulating countryside. After a long descent into Amador City, we had a very steep ascent out of town on East School Street. It came in two parts, a very steep first part was followed by a brief landing and then a second longer and steeper climb ensued. After the tough day yesterday and several hills today, this hill was grueling. At least there wasn’t any traffic. The alternative would have been busy CA-49. This way led to a country road that eventually became unpaved. We ended up walking a short but steep gravel hill on an afternoon that had become very warm.

As Yogi Berra once said, “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.” We went left.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually, we did come out to shoulder less and busy 49 that also had a long hill to climb Good grief! I thought we were supposed to be dropping for 7000 feet!

At the top, CA-49 went right while CA-16, to Sacramento, continued straight. Since most of the traffic also went straight, it was then that we decided to alter our route for tomorrow to “Sac City.”

We spoke briefly with a fellow working at the apron of his driveway. Turned out to be his 65th birthday today. Nice to talk with a good young working guy!

This fellow was doing some interesting iron work at the end of his driveway and on his 65th birthday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

CA-49 led us to Plymouth, our destination for the day. It is a small town in wine country. There are several wine making operations, tasting establishments, and cellars in the area. Most were closed on Mondays, which happened to be the day we arrived. Fortunately, our host also is the owner of Amador Cellars. She gave us a complimentary bottle. We plan to open it when we finish up, later on this week.

Plymouth, CA.
Heart 0 Comment 0
If you make the left, you might never return.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 965 miles (1,553 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0