Day 9 - Cathlamet to Astoria - Riding the California Dream - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2022

Day 9 - Cathlamet to Astoria

Today’s route took us west and across the border from Washington to Oregon. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We couldn’t have asked for better weather. Though our tents were wet with few, the sky was clear and the day promised to be warm. And waking up next to the river filled me with a sense of calm anticipation. 

Early morning light on the Columbia River.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rode back through the sleeping town, and just a few miles to catch the ferry that would take us across the River and into Oregon. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting to board the ferry.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At 9:00 AM we said goodbye to Washington and boarded the ferry, which was much smaller than I expected, with only enough room for about 8 or 10 cars plus our bikes and pedestrians.  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking across the water to our destination.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on land we cycled together until the first significant climb, which came around mile 8. Climbing at our individual paces broke is naturally into smaller groups. Many of us ride alone for large periods of time. 

The group at about mile 6.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took several detours off the main highway and into quiet rural roads that followed the Knappa Slough. I took a detour of my own to investigate the view from a bridge. 

Lovely view of the Knapa Slough.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bicycle propped up against a garage caught my attention. Can you imagine trying to ride this?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Amber StarfireTo Rachael AndersonI know! Maybe it was used for a parade or a circus act.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Another of our detours took us by the Twilight Eagle Sanctuary, a wetland area viewable on the Burnside Loop, which runs alongside the Columbia River Hwy.  it was an awe-inspiring  sight, but we didn’t see any eagles. 

Bike lean picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the wetlands
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we entered Astoria, we moved onto the bike and pedestrian path that runs along the river. From here we had a good view of the Astoria bridge and the sea lions on the docks. 

The Astoria bridge that crosses over the Columbia and to Washington.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from beneath the Astoria Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sea lions barking on the docks.
Heart 1 Comment 0


We stopped at the Maritime Museum, ate lunch on a bench overlooking the water and the Columbia, a light ship that was deployed from the 1950s to the late 1970s because there was no lighthouse. 

A selfie on the docks near the museum.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

I spent some time in the museum, which I highly recommend if you ever find yourself in Astoria. They have these amazing lifesized displays depicting life on the water of the Columbia. 

Display of a gillnetter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Display of a Coast Guard rescue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I was fascinated by these lifelike displays.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, I got back on my bike and headed out of town to the KOA, our destination for the night. All in all, it was a perfect day.  

The sun glittered on the water as we turned down a gravel road toward our KOA campground.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And here’s my video compilation of the day. 

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 408 miles (657 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Rachael AndersonGreat photos! Glad you had a sunny day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Genny FoxWow you were lucky with the weather here! Every time I have been in Astoria, it was raining and foggy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachel.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireTo Genny FoxYes, knock on wood!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago