Why (2)? Solve by Numbers - Breaking the Cycle - CycleBlaze

March 16, 2024

Why (2)? Solve by Numbers

The Gains of Eradicating Homelessness

Before we talk about how much it costs to house all of our citizens and neighbors, it's important to understand that we have been spending more than three times the cost by leaving the problem unsolved.   Housing all of our citizens would cost about 28.8 billion dollars.  The numbers fluctuate a little bit, but for the past 20 years there have been approximately 3 million homeless people.  We managed to find an apartment for my son in Chicago--an expensive market--for $800 per month.  28.8 billion may sound like a lot, but there are more than 750 billionaires in the U.S.  The top 4 are each worth more than 100 billion dollars.  Any of them could end homelessness and still have more than 100 billion dollars.  That's a lot of $400 cheesburgers with gold flakes, $30 cups of Esmeralda Geisha coffee, and private islands.   In any case, if we spend 28.8 billion, we save about 100 billion in taxpayer dollars currently spent on dealing with the homeless population in emergency rooms, jails, emergency shelters, and motels.  

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Karen PoretYou can come here to Santa Cruz, CA and “solve” our HUGE homeless problem, too…
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gordon BrownTo Karen PoretI haven't been to Santa Cruz in a while, but I enjoyed the couple of times I was there. Would love to help: homelessness is a relatively easy problem to solve--not solving it is extremely costly.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Gordon BrownYou sound so promising. Rowland Rebele had the same idea as yourself, but it has backfired terribly here. “If you build it, they will come”, and they have. I also believe our too small police force coupled with no viable mental or drug solutions has allowed the escalation to become too large to solve in this “small” city of mine.
The temperate weather along the Pacific Coast is also another draw.
We as a people are going backward and not forward with this situation all over the world.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gordon BrownTo Karen PoretFirst, thanks again Karen, for reading my journal entries and your thoughtful comments. Sorry to hear Rowland's idea backfired. Of course, I'm not a betting person, but I'd bet $100 that his idea(s) were not exactly the same as mine, because I haven't told you my ideas yet:). Seriously, I've been involved in districts that have virtually eradicated homelessness, and lived in places where none existed. There are many ways...
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Gordon BrownTo Gordon BrownI've been traveling a bit, but meant to write that I've been following some of the news coming out of California re. homelessness. It is a problem, and the fact that it's a relatively easy problem to solve does not mean it's easy to solve. Hope this finds you well.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago