Golf, Hike and Bike - Poking Around South of the Border - CycleBlaze

March 12, 2022

Golf, Hike and Bike

Not all on the same day

We enjoyed other pursuits for a couple of days. The hiking was amazing, the golf was frustrating but fun and it was time to go for a spin on the bikes. 

I can’t emphasize enough how different this is from hiking at home. You can see where you are going for one thing. No need for the GPS hiking app I use at home here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots of water was consumed on this hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The golf was with friends and really was great fun. 

Keith preparing to drive it straight and long down the fairway. If only it always worked out that way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have been doing a Zoom Boot Camp since Covid began. A group of us have been going to the gym together for years and our instructor stepped up and has been offering the class through Zoom. So I had a Super Saturday. An hour of Boot Camp to start the day, and a bike (uphill), a hike, and a bike (downhill). Keith did the same, minus the Boot Camp. He had checked out the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto National Monument Visitor’s Center on his own, so off we went. 

Leaving our accommodation. I get twitchy leaving with absolutely no extra clothing. I can’t do that in Victoria in July! It just seems wrong.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We didn’t get very far before our first stop of the day. Artists in Palm Desert were doing an Open House Art Show. We had gone possibly a kilometre when we saw a studio and stopped. We were blown away by the art this woman produced. We also really enjoyed both the artist and her husband. It wasn’t a short visit. Spoiler alert, we thought about her art all the next week.  Take a look at www.victoriacracknellart.com.

One example. We should have taken more pictures.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on our way, after this amazing visit, we went up to the Visitor’s Center.

Surely not meant for us. Just like Europe we are a bit creative with this sort of thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me: “You know I don’t like this stuff!” Keith: “I know exactly where we are. I did this section a couple of days ago. Just a short push here through some French gravel. You’ll be fine.” And sure enough, I was.
Heart 4 Comment 0


We had brought our hiking shoes with us and after a brief orientation headed out on a hike. 

The desert is blooming.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltBeavertail cactus. Don't let it fool you. Those soft looking little bumps are actually clumps of tiny barbed needles!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia_basilaris
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen ClassenBill thank you! I love knowing this.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
So dry.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The return ride was a wonderful descent to the condo. And then?

I am not even trying to pretend it is a tough life. It is wonderful. Not the way we usually roll, but wonderful.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 km (17 miles)
Total: 202 km (125 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0