Roaming in Rome: Rome Days Two and Three. - Poking Around Europe 3.0 - CycleBlaze

October 14, 2016

Roaming in Rome: Rome Days Two and Three.

Apologies for the ridiculous title. I simply couldn't resist. Rome is such a great walking city.

We have sketchy wifi in Rome, and it is a problem, because once I get behind it is hard to catch up! Especially here, where it seems there is a something to look at around every corner.

On day two we started our day with our usual walking and looking. We did have a goal, the Trevi Fountain. We made our way there by a circuitous route, not because we were lost, but because we kept getting distracted. We then took in the Spanish Steps and the views from there. Between each stop there were amazing piazzas, stunning churches (we have lost count), food, shopping, fountains and monuments. So much to see.

Outside the hotel today. Perfect new car for me, except where would I put Keith. There actually is a back seat, but I am not sure he could fold himself into it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First fountain of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Second fountain of the day...see how we get distracted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the third.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I forgot to mention that we had our first rain in weeks and we had to break out the goretex jackets, which haven't seen any action in weeks. It was short lived though and by the afternoon they weren't needed.

Next came the Pantheon, which is so huge it is hard to do it justice with a photograph.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After admiring it from the inside we sat and sipped cappuccinos and admired it from the outside. This is the view from our table.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then came the main event. It is just so beautiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I just loved it. So did Keith. One of those iconic places in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, we weren't the only ones there. I love this shot of the bright umbrellas and the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gorgeous.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more 😀.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then off through the atmospheric streets...
Heart 0 Comment 0
To the Spanish steps. We climbed to the top, took in the view and toured the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then were on our way to the Coliseum and Forum but saw the Altare Della Patria (Il Vittoriano) on the way. After exploring that and surrounding area we finally made it into the Coliseum at about five in the afternoon. We took it all in, and didn't feel rushed because tickets are good for two days so we knew we would have lots of time for the Forum.

This is a fairly recent building. It was started in 1895 to commemorate the unification of Italy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is the goal in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views were terrific.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another angle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To give some perspective on the size of this horse, there was a picture of about 30 of the men who had worked on it celebrating its completion by having dinner inside it. They weren't crowded either.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And finally, we made it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
An astonishing place. I am running out of superlatives here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We spent time imagining what it must have been like.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we had the best dinner ever at a Salumeria by the Pantheon. We put ourselves in the capable hands of Francesca, who chose cheeses, meats, olives, bread, wine and a delectable dessert for us. We sat at a little table, savoured the food and the moment and counted our blessings, which are many.

Keith doesn't like having his picture taken. Can you tell?
Heart 0 Comment 0
That is prosciutto up there. And they had forty two more they were trying to figure out where to hang. Very entertaining.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Francesca and her crew with a happy customer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the walk back to the hotel. Typical streetscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First thing this morning, a black Surly locked to the railing in the hotel stairwell. Complete with charming baby seat and fat tires. Oh I miss my Surly pony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then a wander through a market full of delectables.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And over the Tiber and into Trastavere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then into the forum. We came in on the Palantine Hill side and had the place almost to ourselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spectacular. I really have run out of superlatives.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What it looked like back in the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wandered home, after a restorative beer (it was warm today...26 degrees C) and decided to visit Francesca again, only this time we bought wine, cheese and meat to take to the roof top terrace of our hotel, where we have dined al fresco and taken in the view of Rome at night. A perfect, perfect day. Tomorrow the Vatican!

Relaxing on the terrace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0