Look Who we Found in Regensburg: Regensburg - Poking Around Europe on our Bikes - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2014

Look Who we Found in Regensburg: Regensburg

When Keith booked our room at the Hotel Zum Frohlichen Turken yesterday afternoon he forgot to mention we wanted to stay two nights. Imagine our surprise when we checked in and they were fully booked for tonight. No worries though, they sent us across the street to the Hotel Peterhof, kept our bikes for us, so they are enjoying the Jolly Turk for two nights and we are in a lovely room directly across the street that is less expensive than yesterday's room. And we have wifi! So job one this morning was to schlep the panniers across the street after breakfast and head to the Dom. The Hotel Peterhof receptionist let us into the room right away, so it was an easy move.

We met Keith's brother and sister in law on the front steps of the Dom. It was great. They had arrived by bus, not Viking river cruise ship as expected because the ship was held up by traffic in the locks. It worked out beautifully and we proceeded to spend the day eating and drinking our way around Regensburg. It is a beautiful city and a UNESCO world heritage sight. It also seems to be a shopper's paradise but other than the chocolate shop we stayed out of the stores. Bike touring does not encourage shopping, except perhaps for schmuck, my new favourite German word. It means jewellry.

We started our day with cappuccinos, had Italian food for lunch and finished off drinking wine in the sun in front of the Dom. We visited the Golf Museum of all things and checked out the Cathedral. It was a lovely relaxed day.

The bus arrived to return Dwayne and Michelle to their ship. They are off to Nuremburg on their cruise. Keith and I wandered back to the hotel and headed out to dinner at a great Italian spot just a couple of doors up the street. We seem to be on an Italian kick these last few days. Dinner was terrific and it was nice to just wander 100 metres or so back to the room. Back in the saddle tomorrow to cycle the Altmuhl Radweg as far as we can get before we jump on the train to Berlin.

The very impressive Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Michelle has a map! She is giving the CN a break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch outside. All our meals were delicious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of the cruise ship gang.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Regensburg street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes Dave W., there really is a golf museum in Regensburg, and we really did go. Here is a picture to prove it! According to the curator of this museum, golf was invented in Germany, not Scotland. I wonder what the Royal and Ancient thinks of that?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We also checked out the interior of the Dom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did more wandering.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And then we sat and drank wine outside while enjoying this view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having some laughs with the Viking Cruise guide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keith helping out at the bus. Once he polishes his German language skills maybe he can apply for a job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0