Figeac - Clermont-Ferrand to Biarritz 2000 - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2000

Figeac

Another day of uncertain weather, which turned out surprisingly mild. After breakfast at the hotel we returned to the Valentré Bridge for a few more photographs and then under a partly sunny sky we departed upriver for Figeac.  It was a wonderful ride, surely one of the best 50 mile cycle routes anywhere.  Fairly level the entire way, it hugs the bank of the Lot for nearly the entire route until breaking away in the last 10 miles to cross a low ridge into the Cele valley.  The scenery is spectacular for the entire distance - colorful, quaint villages; attractive and diverse farmland (crops include corn, sunflowers, grapes, squash, asparagus, tobacco, and beans); and beautiful grey and salmon hued sandstone cliffs.

We arrived in Figeac at about 3 and after checking in to a one star tavern hotel we embarked on a tour of the town.  Figeac is wonderful - one of the most appealing towns of its size we’ve visited.  It doesn’t have many noteworthy sights (except for the Champollion Museum with its oversized replica of the Rosetta Stone); but it has a wonderful ambience, with dozens of beautiful brick, wood and stone structures.  Every street was a delight to explore.  For the evening we made our way to another fine pizzeria, perhaps the equal of the first of the tour.

Another mystery. I have wondered for years where this bridge is, but have never been able to place it. Maybe here?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 521 km (324 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0