Schrobenhausen - Solnhofen: We cross the Danube - From Bavaria to the Baltic Sea and Back - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2011

Schrobenhausen - Solnhofen: We cross the Danube

Today we passed through many places that we had visited on other tours. It was a welcoming feeling to return to familiar scenes - and this time around on our e-bikes with so much more ease. I noticed I was feeling more relaxed and not worrying about hills to come. Let 'em come, we're prepared.

A few shots of Schrobenhausen before we leave
Heart 1 Comment 0
House fronts in Schrobenhausen
Heart 2 Comment 1

The first stretch to Neuburg was flat, windy and a little tedious. I must admit the e-support is better for helping me up the hills than for fighting headwinds.

Nice bike paths
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bavarian maypole
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Neuburg we crossed the Danube. A mountain ridge separates the Danube and the next river valley, the valley of the Altmühl which we followed for the rest of the day. We have also cycled the Altmühl bike path before but we found that on each visit we see things we missed before. Places never quite look the way I remember them.

Neuburg's baroque houses
Heart 2 Comment 0
Neuburg
Heart 3 Comment 0
Neuburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

The sun came out in the afternoon and I discovered I was quite tired from the previous days and preparations for our trip. When we took a break on a bench along the path, I stretched out and fell asleep with Janos's knee as my pillow and the sun warming me.

Crossing over to the Altmühl Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful vistas
Heart 3 Comment 0
We even rode up a hill to get a better view of the castle ruins.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Solnhofen we found a private room for 38€. Private rooms can be very interesting. You enter a stranger's world for a night. Every house has its own atmosphere, smells, sounds, style. Some are well kept, some shabby, some impersonal, some almost too private. In this case, the home owner seemed to have a weakness for kitsch. The place was decorated with knick-knacks (with a few dog hairs in between) and the odors of beef soup wafted up the stairs from the kitchen.

Our room in Solnhofen, reflected in the mirrors on the clothes closet doors
Heart 1 Comment 0
Where we stayed in Solnhofen
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 134 km (83 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0