Charmes sur Rhone to Chateauneuf sur Rhone - new friends - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2018

Charmes sur Rhone to Chateauneuf sur Rhone - new friends

Despite complaining about the poor conditions and unwelcoming feeling of this campground, we are glad we stayed here as it gave us an opportunity to meet Paula and Stefan. Poor service and high rates give this place a thumbs down.

Nonetheless, we are in for a wondrous day of riding. The Via Rhona is giving us an amazing adventure.

Farewell for now to Stefan and Paula -perhaps we will see them again as they are riding in the same direction..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Their new bikes are called Stromer and everything is built in - all electronics including a GPS which ensures you can find it if it is stolen. The 850 watt motor reaches speeds up to 45 km per hour and for this reason they have to have a license plate and special insurance. As well, Stefan is pulling a ToutTerrain single wheel trailer.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This campground was not our favourite - the bathrooms were not maintained and only a few were functioning, one shower was working for the men and all of the energy went in to the bar for locals. The campground was not a priority.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such beautiful poppies everywhere we go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route continues to be lovely on Via Rhona. We hope that these improvements continue for the complete route. We’ll see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were about to cross the river when we noticed the tops of tents in the the village of La Voulte Sur Rhone,  and that usually means a market, so we turned in. What a great market. It stretched for quite a distance and basically, if you wanted something, it was there. Wandering through a market is, for us, the ultimate cultural experience of seeing the local way of life.

We stopped in this village to visit the weekly market. The market was amazing and stretched out in all directions with amazing produce, clothing, anything you would like. Strawberries are in season and this farmer was fun to watch as he was very passionate about his strawberries, and well, just life in general.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a wonderful morning for the market. It is such a social environment. Visiting is just as important as buying.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The selection of cheese was amazing. We bought some hard cheese (a combination of goat and sheep) for our lunch and it was delicious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So impressive as well as the samples.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We will be buying some of the smoked sausage to have later (the ones on the bottom).
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a great market - so wonderful to see. We wish we had a kitchen as we would love to try some of the white asparagus.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe White Asparagus is DELICIOUS!! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This family from Quebec caught our attention just for the sheer load that these young parents are pulling. Their Arkel panniers from Canada were our clue that they are Canadian.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The twin girls ride in the trailer behind the mom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We admire their spirit as they are travelling for 12months through Europe with their 3 children. They are from Rimouski in the Gaspe region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dad pulls his son when the boy needs a break.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a beautiful village with a great market. The castle and fortifications tower above the village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had to cross the river after visiting the market. We are looking back at the village. You can see the tell-tale tents beyond the stone wall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are seeing more River Cruise boats along the Rhone. Interesting to see the contrast of old and new.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like this Ibis sign welcoming cyclists. Clearly the fellow needs a break from his saddle, but not us on our recumbent oversized seats, we’ll move on! Places to see...
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we go further south, the landscape is changing. We really appreciate the car free bridges that are being built on the Via Rhona. These are some of the many improvements that are being made on this route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As well, we like the stair free access with wide corners that accommodate a big loaded bike like ours.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch from the market. We wish our camera has “smell” and “taste” vision built in. Take it from us that the meat and cheese are delicious with rich flavours,
Heart 1 Comment 0
This section of the route has just recently been completed. Riding over over the suspension bridge on a fully loaded tandem was fun. It is so strange to bounce and sway at the same time.
Heart 2 Comment 0

What a lucky find to discover the wee village of Baix. We were riding past and thought that the fortified wall looked interesting. Baix is a village where time has stood still for centuries. I am sure that there are challenges living in buildings like this, but for us, it is a marvellous thing to see as it is like an open air living museum. This reminds us to deviate from the route as it can be so rewarding.

Baix is a village of exceedingly narrow lanes with electricity being the main evidence of modernity.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we rode by this abandoned building, we sensed this curious cat watching us.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Such character in the village of Baix.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This image of laundry hung from the balcony is timeless
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have rarely ridden so close to a nuclear plant. The towers are immense and three of the four towers were in full operation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
French dogs are exceedingly well behaved and trained. This beauty with its haunting eyes, watched us with great interest but didn’t chase us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In this region we have seen a number of these historic suspension bridges. This one was damaged during WW2, but has been well restored.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a sight to see a peloton of road riders speeding toward us. Like all French people we have encountered, these riders were very friendly as they sped by. Elsewhere, road riders can be somewhat aloof.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And then, we had  a wonderful finish to our day. Stopping at a wonderful municipal campground in Chateauneuf du Rhone and reconnecting with Paula and Stefan. 

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 1,453 km (902 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0