And....we’re off ! - A Grand 3 Month European Tour on an E-Tandem - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2018

And....we’re off !

\\\\\\\\\A lot has happened in a week - we have flown to Germany, recovered from jet lag, had a chance to visit with Cora and her family, have some great rides in their region, enjoy wonderful food and invest in Seavo’s future with some much needed, yet unexpected mechanical issues.

So, today we are leaving in the morning to ride to Limburg (about 20 km), then ride the train to Koblenz and begin riding south on the Rhine River. We need to be in Speyer by Friday as we have booked a room for the w/e to be able to attend the Spezi, Recumbent Bike Show in Germersheim. The distance is 250 km, so that will be a good way for us to get in to better shape, riding an average of 60 km a day and camping. The past winter was an anomaly for us as we didn’t ride or camp - too much bad weather, sickness, and just life. We are glad to be starting our tour on the relatively easy terrain of the Rhine River.  We have ridden the section from Koblenz to Mainz before, and it is wonderful - dotted with countless castles, vineyards and medieval villages. We are looking forwards to seeing it again.

We have learned that it is wise to get to the train station early in the day when the trains are less busy. It helps us to be able to get the our “big” rig” and trailer on the train.

We were very lucky and got on the first train we tried for. The train was very quiet and we enjoyed an hour on the train drinking coffee and eating sweets from the bakery. A good start to the day.

We said our farewells to Cora and wished her a pleasant ride home.

Buster Bear is ready, too!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re ready to go! Leaving in the morning from the Reitz farm with Cora to catch the train Koblenz.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cora is leading the way into Limburg. The Limburg Cathedral is in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saying goodbye to our wonderful friend Cora
Heart 1 Comment 0
Auf wiedersehen Cora. See you in three months.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A happy Barry...coffee and a treat from bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesFunny, coffee and a bakery treat are all Steve needs to make him a happy camper also.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Seavo the Tandem with Buster on the train to Koblenz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first signage on the Rhine River cycling route - we’ll be riding the Rheinradweg and we are headed to Boppard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Currywurst with pommes- so good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along this section of the Rhine route, this is a typical scene with a village nestled along the water at the base of the cliffs and the castle on high.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is a wonderland here - the towns are interesting and the castles are magical.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oh dear, first a gate which we couldn’t get through and then it was necessary to push the bike. Not an auspicious start.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Goar is the home to two wonderful shops - this one sells a vast number of cuckoo clocks and across the street, an equally impressive shop devoted exclusively to beer steins.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Felicity MagillHaha, yes! We stayed here too :)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
And as the sign indicates, the clock in the previous clock is not only beautiful, it is also the “largest in the world”,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rocko and his wife really know how to make great Italian Eis - and only 90 cents per kugel (scoop).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 181 km (112 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0