To Lang Co: Hai Van Pass - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 7, 2007

To Lang Co: Hai Van Pass

Again, no rush today to get an early start, yet we do. We have a big pass to do today.

We leave Da Nang along the seawall after a few angled roads to navigate to it. After 35+ years of hearing of Da Nang in the American War, and as a big destination on the map this trip, it seems strange that it is done.

About 8 km out of the city, the road traffic divides with most going through the new tunnel and the rest over Hai Van Pass, 496meters. It's a pleasant climb made easier with less traffic and beautiful views of the South China Sea bays/beaches. We can see the road wind its way to the pass. Almost to the top we meet a lone Dutch woman cyclist, we tell her about our ride in the highlands. On the way up a woman on a motorbike talks with us and says for us to visit her shop at the top, she will wait for us there. There's also an old French Fort.

At the top, we talk with an American couple from Chicago cycling South. There are lots of vendors around listening as we talk. They started in China going to Jakarta. Also they have cycled in USA coast to coast. They have a bit of argument over the price of pho. They hadn't agreed on the price prior to eating. After a rest and a drink, we start the descent with hairpin curves and views until coming into view of Lang Co and the lagoon. We cross the long bridge and find the Lang Co Hotel. We are in early and we think the only guests.

There is no electricity until after 5pm. We eat ham and cheese sandwiches and then walk along the beach. Patrick takes pictures of the boats along the beach. We have dinner in the hotel restaurant.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chicago couple at summit of Hai Van pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Discussing the price of pho
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 5,246 km (3,258 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0