Parit Buntar, David's place: to Georgetown - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 8, 2006

Parit Buntar, David's place: to Georgetown

Today David has taken a sick day because he needs to go to Butterworth to get impressions made for some new teeth. We set off early down the toll-interstate and get the business part of the day over with first. Then we hop on the ferry back to Penang to visit David's brother who runs a travel agency. David is buying a ticket to his grandparent's homeland to do a bike trip there this December. He plans a big circle around Southern India.

In the meantime, we fill out some forms to obtain visas for Thailand. One month is free on arrival and we want the option to stay longer. We apply for a two month tourist visa at the consulate in Georgetown. We are there with just 5 minutes to spare before the consulate closes at noon. After a nice lunch at a food court/market, we head for Penang Hill. A Swiss made funicular train takes us to the top of the 821 meter high hill.

We can see a storm coming across the Straits of Melaka...we finish taking in the view from the high point and quickly back to cover just as it begins to downpour, taking the train back down. Next up is a visit to the Buddhist temple way up the hillside. 

There are 1000 steps with 1000 opportunities to by souvenirs. 

David drove us up the steep winding road. There is a huge Bronze Buddha and a roof is being built to cover the statue. The pillars for the cover are made of huge carved stone rings placed over metal supports....and plenty of opportunity to give donations. There is a courtyard of the Chinese Calendar, Animals based on the year you are born, David is a Snake, Patrick is a Horse, and Rachel a Tiger.

The next attraction is a very old Chinese Temple that is also expanding. David explains a law against building new Hindu temples on new land, but existing temples can be "renovated." This temple meanders on the side of the hill. We find the old part with an old stone bridge, past souvenir stalls, over a pond with lots of turtles. We climb another section that is built like a pagoda with a nice view of the top of the city.

On the way back to David's home, we take the bridge that connects Penang with the mainland. David stops his Proton, a Malaysian built car, on the six land bridge so we can take a picture of the center span. We get back to Parit Buntan after dark (again) and go to the Indian Chinese restaurant where we eat tandoori chicken with naan. A large clay pot has a hot coal fire on the bottom, large pieces of chicken on metal skewers are set inside the pot, the bread dough is quickly slapped against the inside wall of the pot and bakes there. Together with curry and some other sauces the best meal so far!

first pic of day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
David's brother tourist agency for our Thailand visas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel born in the year of the Tiger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick born in the year of the Horse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
David born in the year of the Snake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storm is coming
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
last pic of day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tandoori Chicken and Naan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0