Brantôme layover - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2022

Brantôme layover

With a uniformly wet day forecast, I haven’t even bothered mapping out a possible biking route.  We plan on just playing tourists today, visiting the abbey and exploring the small town, and staying dry.  This morning though the situation’s improved and it looks like with luck we could get a three to four hour window starting later in the morning.  I hurriedly sketch out a short loop and Rachael loads that and the walking route she’s already drawn for herself on the Garmins, just in case.

10:30 comes, conditions still look reasonable, so we both set out.  Rachael’s off to the south of here generally following the Dronne.  She concentrates mostly on getting her ten miles in while the gettin’s good, but does return with a few photos she slowed down for.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith AdamsSuch inviting green water... NOT.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

I’ve drawn out a simple route for myself, a 30 mile loop north up the west side of the Dronne and returning down the east side.  Nothing strenuous, just a chance to see some of the countryside here and hopefully get back dry.

And I do get back dry, right at two!  That’s only after drying out by biking into a 15 mph headwind at the end.  Before that I’d say that a good third or more of the distance was covered in a light mist, or worse.  Nothing to ever cause me to consider turning back, but it did force me to seek shelter two or three times when it picked up a bit.  Not bad, and I was really glad to have gotten out.  It would have driven me nuts to sit out the day and then watch the weather turn favorable.

Crossing the Dronne on the Pont Coudé (the Elbow Bridge), built in the 16th century to provide the monks access to the abbey and gardens.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Crooked door, or maybe a guillotine?
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another long outbuilding. What are these?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A farmhouse in Perigord.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Antique tree planter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sorry to interrupt your meal.
Heart 5 Comment 0
For a minute it showered hard enough that I sought shelter beneath the overhang of the nearest outbuilding. I had company. It looks like they’d been here awhile.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An ugly wreck for Greg.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauThank you, but I'm guessing the ugly wreck is surrounded by plenty of beauty.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauYes, but I thoughtfully cropped it out for your benefit.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
From a distance I thought this was a dinosaur sculpture.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsTurns out it's just a dinosaur.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Showing its age.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Walnuts.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chateau, Saint-Front-la-Rivière.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lavoisier, La Varenne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Entering Saint-Front-la-Rivière.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Saint-Front-la-Rivière.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The 12th century church in Saint-Front-la-Rivière, with an odd structure in front of it. You probably think it’s just another dovecote.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You’d be wrong though. It’s a weigh station. Inside are two large scales, with weighing platforms on either side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this, this might be a dovecote. I don’t know for sure though, and I didn’t see any doves hanging around.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another ugly sight for Greg. Terrible paint job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another eyesore, with jarringly mismatched bricks. Don’t folks have any whitewash out here?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Somewhere near Villars.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 29 miles, 1,500’; for the tour: 420 miles, 27,600’

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 420 miles (676 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0