Some quick takes - Northwest passages: riding out the storm - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2020 to July 21, 2020

Some quick takes

So we’re not really keeping up the blog here so much as making a few brief notes to remind ourselves of how we spent these last few days.  I hardly remember what I did yesterday any more, so if we don’t put something down these next few weeks will all wash out with the tide.

Saturday, July 18th

Beautiful weather again.  More or less a repeat of the Skagit Delta loop we took a few days ago (the one when I saw the otters).  We started and ended in Edison again, but this time we took a much better, quieter route between Edison and Mount Vernon.  We rode the Padilla Bay trail both ways this time - first at ebb tide, and later when it was back in.  Alas, no otters either time.  Lunch on the riverfront in Mount Vernon.   Dinner in Edison at the end of the ride, enjoying pizza and a pint in the back yard of Terramar Brewing & Distilling.

South of Edison, Mount Baker pokes above Bow Hill. The row of dragon’s teeth in front is the Sisters Range.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ebb tide, Padilla Bay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the channel the otters were swimming up on our previous visit. It’s hardly navigable at the moment. They must have to time their excursions carefully to avoid being stranded.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just north of Conway. Use your imagination, since I couldn’t get the camera out in time. As we biked up, the herd was on the move. The cow staring at us was much closer, running with his head low to the ground, playfully rolling the barrel ahead of him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We’ve seen this scene before, but the mountain wasn’t as visible then so I thought we should take a second look.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jen RahnLovely color combination here!

The striped ground, the red roof, the shy snowy peak ...

Another 'wish I were there sitting on a bench' shot.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Back on Padilla Bay, with the tide much higher now. Still no otters, but we did see a huge heron congregation. These are a part of about fifty birds clustered close together.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnA siege of herons!

Almost as intimidating as a murder of crows.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
South of Edison. You have to respect someone not afraid to show their feelings like this, out in the red back country.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jen RahnI like that one in the background, "Flush the turd on November 3rd"
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYes, very poetic. It would work well in a limerick.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Yum! A pint of amber and an 11” pepperoni, mushroom and onion pie. Best pizza in a month.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A more concentrated look at the pizza and brew.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Sunday, July 19th

Another ride to Silver Lake, but a much improved version from the first time.  Rather than a loop that went south to Maple Falls, this was closer to an out and back, beginning at Sumas.  It began with a dead ended loop east of Sumas, up a wedge of the Sumas River basin as it follows the base of  Vedder Mountain before getting pinched off by the Canadian border.  Afterwards we doubled back and climbed steeply through a gap in the range and crossed over to Paradise  Valley.  The whole ride was great, but these first eight miles north of Vedder Mountain were really the best.

Leaving Sumas, eastbound on Jones Road. We’re directly paralleling the international border, which is about 300 yards to our left. We’re biking toward Vedder Mountain, as it angles northeast into Canada. We’ll get pinched off between the border and the mountains in a few miles and have to double back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking south from Jones Road through the gap in Vetter Mountain that we’ll bike through after doubling back. Behind is Sumas Mountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Same view, different crop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Looking northeast up Vedder Mountain. The far end of the range is in Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After a stiff climb we drop from Vedder Mountain into Paradise Valley, back on the route we followed several days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekI appreciate you posting the routes on the journal. I'm pinning many of them for potential future riding.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Monday, July 20th

An off day for me, but not for Rachael.  She religiously bikes her favorite route out to Birch Bay again, continuing to crank out the 42+ mile days.  I could have joined her, but I have to stay around for a video appointment with my primary care physician to discuss my leg wound.  The bottom line: I should chill out and relax until speaking with the wound nurse next week.  These things take time and there’s no sign of infection, so he’s not unduly concerned.

Also, I share with him that we’re considering going to Croatia next month, and will need a COVID-19 test taken shortly before we leave the country.  He’s encouraging there too, and talks through the procedure and timing for scheduling a test.

After that I head downtown to grab some coffee and breakfast, and hang out for several hours while I catch up on the news and rethink our planned itinerary.  Later in the afternoon, Rachael calls Expedia to discuss flights as we continue gathering information to help us finalize a decision.  So far at least, everything is still pointing us toward a go decision, but we’re still giving it more time before committing ourselves.

Image not found :(
I’ve been watching this spectacular flower by our parking space for the past few weeks. Its blossoms are just beginning to open up.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThat is a Japanese anenome. We have found them to be super invasive but they are pretty (in somebody else's yard).
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThanks, Andrea. They do look like a poor house guest alright. Until it blossomed out I wondered if it might be a columbine, from the shape of its leaves.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
In Williams Coffee, avoiding exercise, stressing over the news and fussing over the Croatian itinerary.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In a lengthy conversation with Expedia, discussing flights and the policy on using the credit from our cancelled flight to Copenhagen.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Patrick O'HaraThanks for not cutting us all off cold turkey......We're okay with tripling up on journal entries:)
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jen RahnI agree with Patrick!

Always great to read some news from Team Anderson .. even if it's a condensed version.

Glad the video appointment went well .. no sign of infection is a good sign! Take care of that leg with good rest and maybe some bacon.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnBacon! I like how you talk. I’ll bring this up with the team shopper.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe agree with Patrick too. So nice to see your pictures. Best of luck with everything!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad that you are still providing a little entertainment for us. But the best part is missing - the videos!
Your plans for Croatia are sounding good! Keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s nice of you to say!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenThanks, Kathleen. We welcome all the good luck folks can send our way. We could well be needing some this time.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago