Cooling our Heals - Northwest passages: riding out the storm - CycleBlaze

March 29, 2020 to April 1, 2020

Cooling our Heals

OK, so that was a lame pun.  But then, I’m lame for the moment so I’m excused just this once.

We’ve been mostly cooling our heels for the four days since the dog encounter.  Before we go into it though, let’s lead with this, since this is a cycling blog:

Testing out the new indoor trainer Rachael had the smarts to buy before leaving Portland.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This setup works pretty well for her. She can catch up on the latest journals while working up a sweat. The towel is to protect the Straggler from corrosion. She shouldn’t sweat that much anyway, because she’s just cruising along ahead of a strong tailwind provided by the fan behind her. (Not me, silly. The oscillating one).
Heart 2 Comment 0

We’re mostly sitting around reading and watching videos for the last three days, but Rachael has gone outside a few times.  A few runs to the store, and then yesterday she took a hike.  Also, she went out to our back cabin (we have quite an estate here) for a different sort of workout, to a Zumba video.  I apologize for failing to take a photo, but maybe next time.

I’ve only been out twice before today since returning from the ER.  On the day after after the accident I walked over to Ace Hardware to buy an adjustable wrench so I could assemble Rachael’s cycle trainer, and then followed up by cursing at a terrible set of assembly instructions for the next half hour.  Then, a few hours later Rachael noticed that my leg was bleeding again through the bandages.  We unwrapped the dressing, were horrified to find that some of the stitches had pulled out, and immediately went back to the emergency room.  

Doctor Song and James were still on duty, and had a quick look.  Doctor Song didn’t seem that surprised really, or that concerned by it either.  He said that the problem was that I was missing some skin at the end of the flap - apparently a bit of Scott went home with the dog.  He’d had to stretch the skin to fill the gap when he reassembled me, but the tension was apparently too much to hold and pulled loose.  He said I’ll still be fine, and sent me home with the instructions to keep the wound exposed to the air rather than covered, and of course to keep it dry.  

For the last two days I’ve just been sitting around.  I seem to be feeling and healing fine though, so today I’m ready to leave the house for a short walk.  Rachael and I start out together and walk as far as a lookout point on the opposite side of the river, and then we go our own way.  She’s on a longer walk back across the river and town to Canyon City, but I stay close to home and follow a nice crushed gravel hiking path along the river for maybe another mile before I decide to turn back because it looks like the weather window is about to close in on me.  Not much of a walk, but enough.  It feels wonderful to get outdoors again!

Danger! It’s another of those silent types, closing in for the kill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scenes we like to see.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Only about a quarter mile from home we find this nice trail through Davis Creek Park.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view west to the Aldrich Mountains from the Davis Creek Park overlook. There’s more snow on them than a few days ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beyond Davis Creek is this pleasant trail passing between the John Day and the city dump.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The John Day, in John Day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s a small pond next to the dump, clean enough to support a bit of wildlife. I wouldn’t go for a swim here though.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bruce Lellman"Small pond next to the dump." This just sounds wrong.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Half a duck is better than no duck at all.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A pair of cinnamon teals. I wonder if they’ll nest here, and if there might be ducklings on the pond before we leave town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I give up. Need some help here.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSeems to match Townsend's solitaire

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Townsends_Solitaire#_ga=2.121966728.2052036046.1585801734-138912334.1529963732
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltOh, of course. Obviously a solitaire, since there’s only one. I knew I’d seen this bird before from the white eye ring, but was too lazy to do the research. Thanks!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We’ve moved back about a month coming here, and spring is just starting. That yellow growth on the hill is about it for spring color so far.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Closer still.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Andrea BrownThis is Euphorbia Myrsinites, donkey/myrtle spurge, a toxic invasive in Oregon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be a species of Sedum, but I could not find a good image match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownThank you, Doctor Brown. I won’t eat it now after all.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Andrea BrownInvasive... So that's why I could not find it searching wildflowers of Oregon!

Thanks Andrea!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Still, last year’s growth is pretty attractive too.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A horse, three lambs, and a mountain. A pretty scene to find just a few hundred yards from home.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Strawberry Mountains, with John Day in the foreground.
Heart 2 Comment 0

About the dog

Several of you have asked about the dog, and the dog’s owner.  Will either be punished?  Should we sue?  Will the dog be free to bite again?  Tough questions.  First, lets have a look at this killer.

What a nice looking little guy! Look at those brown eyes. I’m sure someone loves him very much.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanHe has lies in his eyes.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We’ve had a positive identification on the animal.  Hospitals here are required to notify law enforcement of all animal bites, and the county sheriff’s office phoned me while I was in the ER waiting for treatment.  I couldn’t talk at the moment, but I called back later to describe the incident and the location of the property, which I identified using Google maps.

A deputy went out the next morning and spoke with the owner.  The owner acknowledged that one of his dogs had gotten loose, gave an explanation I didn’t quite pick up on, and asserted that both dogs were current on their vaccinations.  The deputy then sent me photos of both dogs so I could identify our assailant.  There’s no question that it’s the dog pictured above.  He looks just as I remembered, although a bit smaller and friendlier looking.

I understand that the deputy will follow up, try to verify the vaccination status, and report back.  Beyond that though I’m not sure anything else will happen unless we initiate something.  I’m not sure we will take further action though, unless new information surfaces (an outrageous copay, necrotizing fasciitis, a repeat attack, that sort of thing).  We’re not litigious, and local law enforcement has the dog on record now so they should be able to take it from here.

Date Night

Another date night!  Lots to celebrate today.  We’re on the mend, we’re both housebound with company we love, and nobody pranked us on April Fools Day.  We celebrate with a take-out feast from The Snaffle Bit Dinner House (mmm - chicken enchilada!) and kick back to enjoy another house concert - this time at the Nashville home of Caitlin Canty. We first saw Caitlin a few years back when she was one of our favorite performers at the Sisters Folk Festival.   

One of our disappointments this spring was that she was scheduled to perform in Portland the day after we were due to fly out to Austin.  We didn’t go to Austin of course, but she didn’t come to Portland after all either.  Seeing her at home from home was compensation, with the added charm of seeing one of her dogs come up and lick her fingers while she was strumming her guitar.

The world changed outside our window while Caitlin and her partner were performing. It’s been threatening to do this for the last two days, but this time it looks like it might stick around.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Jen RahnWe'll .. that certainly makes it easier to hunker down and heal!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnYup. No biking today. We’re hoping to get out for a walk later though after the day warms up a bit.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Jen RahnI love that video of Caitlin Canty! Wish we'd been watching her house concert with you.

How did you find out about it? Any others with her or similar musicians coming up soon?

Sounds like you have everything you need at your John Day home - access to food, nature, entertainment, fitness equipment, and best of all .. excellent company!

Hope the open wound healing is uneventful.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnWe found out because we’re on her mailing list from when we saw her at sisters. She plans to have more of these, so I’ll forward her email to you the next time one arrives. Also, you can go to her website or Facebook page and sign up.

You’re right, we have all we need - except a strong enough internet to follow the concert better. It seems to be getting weaker, maybe because everyone is sitting at home streaming.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rich Harrell"What a nice looking little guy! Look at those brown eyes. I’m sure someone loves him very much."

Well, I dunno, whoever is standing next to him only has one leg. ;)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich HarrellOh, it’s you! I thought I recognized that sense of humor but I was stumped at first.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekIt sounds like the sheriff has it under control. Keep that wound clean and free of cooties!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltWhen I read this yesterday, I was going to mention your punny title for the day... So today, yes I noticed. Heel well!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago