Órgiva to Granada - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 10, 2021

Órgiva to Granada

Rosa, our host at Casa Jazmin, provides many nice touches. There were the flowers in the bathroom and more flowers on our breakfast table. 

Our breakfast table was in the sunroom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our room was up the stairs. I had to get a photo before we left. This style of construction is apparently common in the region.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonYou go well with the wall hanging!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The route out of town was only less challenging than coming in because it was downhill. I can't imagine renting a car and trying to drive in one of these villages if all your driving experience has been in North America.

The first sizeable town on our route was Lanjarón. Riding through, we were surprised how steep the highway was--the part that seemed to have been built to bypass part of the town. The main street that it eventually deposited us on had several tourist trinket shops, the first we've seen since leaving the coast.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The road after Lanjarón was busier than we'd experienced lately. It was a beautiful descent after rounding this ridge down to where we passed over the autoroute near Béznar but nowhere really safe to stop, even on bicycles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was an experience riding through Padul to find somewhere for lunch, but we ended up at a gastropub. The server flambéed the goat cheese on our salads.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Riding into Granada was another kind of experience. We did okay until a couple of blocks from the hotel, when neither Garmin seemed to know where we were. After much discussion, we finally found our way to Hotel Anacapri, which I'd chosen because they said they could securely store our bicycles.

After getting settled, we went out to look around and find something to eat.

A nice-looking church. See description in the photo below.
Heart 2 Comment 0
"Modern Age". Ha! It's all relative, I guess.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Granada, not a tourist street.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Margie AndersonI just love the cobblestone patterning they do in these southern countries!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Margie AndersonMe too. There must be an astounding amount of labour involved.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Around the corner from the photo above. We saw many guitar shops on the street leading to the Puerto de la Justice (entrance to the Alhambra).
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the dead end of Almanzora Alta. We'd actually intended to head to that church at the top but obviously missed a turn somewhere!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Granada
Heart 3 Comment 0
There was something going on. Crowds of people in certain places, streets closed to traffic, police directing traffic... We never really learned what it was about, though here was something on the TV at the restaurant we are in. We don't think it was the jazz festival (whenever that might be).
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the famous tapas streets for tourists. We ate at Genil on the corner. Learn from our mistake!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 497 km (309 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesYour recent blog pages have been a revelation (to me). I had no idea the villages would look like that, the road would look like that, the accommodations like that. You could pat yourselves on the back. On the other hand, someone totally ignorant like that is easy to wow!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Keith KleinHi Jacquie,
I’ve been quietly following your tour. You really picked the right season to visit el Andalus. It’s been years since we’ve been, but it’s still as lovely as ever. Will you be visiting the Alhambra? Despite its touristy reputation as a must see place, it is worth the time. The beauty of the Moorish architecture is breathtaking, if you like that sort of thing.
I’ll be lurking in the background as you bring some sun to our foggy lives.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Keith KleinThe Alhambra has been on my list of sites to visit since I was a teenager. It’s the plan for today.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonWonderful photos! I’m glad everything is going so well for you. It’s great to have your journal to follow.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago