A day in Malaga - Escaping the Rain--In Spain - CycleBlaze

November 1, 2021

A day in Malaga

We decided yesterday that if we needed to spend another night in Malaga, we would move to a hotel close to or in the centre of the city. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet again, packed up, left our collapsed bike cases and suitcase with the hotel, and rode into town by the route I'd created to avoid the highway we'd taken yesterday (yesterday's route was  the one suggested by RWGPS).  It was longer and definitely avoided traffic.  It also included some bumpy bits, dusty gravel, and three short hike-a-bike sections:  one up and over what could have once been a railway embankment, and two dry fords. Even along the rough sections along the Guadalhorce River, we saw other cyclists so this route wasn't totally isolated.  They were on mountain bikes, though. Then, when we reached the Mediterranean and joined the main cycle route, it was busy.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAre the green lines on the map when zoomed in bikeways? Where is the map sourced from? Hope your bike repair happens sooner than later.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesNot sure which map view you’re looking at. There are lots of separated bike paths in the city of Malaga. In addition, the right lane on some arterial roads is marked with a 30 km/h speed limit and “priority to bicycles.”
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
First view of the Mediterranean. We didn't see it yesterday.
Heart 4 Comment 0

I called the bike shop we'd visited yesterday. As expected, any shop that might have the part was closed today, All Saints Day. We checked in to our new hotel, just across the street from Malaga's bullring. We put our bikes in their storeroom off the garage and collapsed in our room. We weren't expecting temperatures in the high 20s.

After recovering, we headed out to explore.  We hiked up the hill behind our hotel to the Castillo del Gibralfaro. Just outside the entrance to the castle was a busker playing classical guitar. We listened for a while; he started playing Asturias (a famous piece by Isaac Albéniz that Al's been working on for months--his first retirement project after not playing for decades) and his version was beautiful. I would have bought one of his CDs except I wouldn't want to carry it. I should have noted his name. 

We didn't walk up the switchbacks in full sun. There was a shadier car-free road around the north side of the hill. It turned out to be the route favoured by Segway tours.
Heart 3 Comment 0

There was a free audio tour but it was a bit too academic for our mood today.  We just wandered around and admired the views.

View of the port from the Castillo
Heart 5 Comment 0
You'd see our hotel in the lower left corner if the trees weren't there.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This ship isn't in the harbour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Punk squirrel,
Heart 5 Comment 0

We'd bought the combination ticket that included admission to the Alcazaba, the fortress palace at the bottom of the hill. The views weren't as spectacular but the architecture was much more interesting. 

Alcazaba
Heart 5 Comment 0
Gate of the Columns, Alcazaba. I'd never seen citrus trees before.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lemons! Alcazaba
Heart 3 Comment 0
Alcazaba
Heart 5 Comment 0
Stone screens, Alcazaba
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ceiling, Alcazaba
Heart 4 Comment 0
Alcazaba
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWe did a lot of walking around this area when we were there because it was raining. I really loved it!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We really appreciated this public water fountain. There were a couple in the Castillo too
Heart 3 Comment 0


Time to eat!  We found a restaurant that offered Spanish barbecue and had a pleasant lunch. Afterward, we walked along the waterfront and quiet beach then eventually back to our hotel for an early night. We're still working through the jet lag. 

Maybe we should have stayed here.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 37 km (23 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
David MathersOkay, sitting here on pins and needles wanting to hear about your bike repair. Good luck tomorrow!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ralph StiebelFantastic photos and really informative journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Ralph StiebelThanks, Ralph!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago