A late start on a hot day - France again - this time Alsace - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2022

A late start on a hot day

Heart 0 Comment 0

Every day is hot now. The heat wave has arrived and we think it wise to be back in our room before the thermometer reads above 30C. We had found a nice little bakery, or rather salon de thé, that opens at six and serves tempting croissants, pains au chocolat etc. Our hotel's 16 Euro breakfast didn't seem necessary. We were there a little after seven and were back at the hotel in time to get out while the air was still cool. But that's not the way things went.

Before we left for breakfast I noticed that my power bank wasn't fully charged and thought I probably hadn't plugged it in properly. When we got back from breakfast we saw that nothing was charged! No batteries for the e-bikes, no phones for navigation, and of course we have a few other electronic goodies, too. I finally figured out it was the way the plugs and light switches were wired. Hotels do this - one switch is for the left light next to the bed as well as the overhead light, the other turns the hall light on and off, and so forth. Not wanting the whole room to be lit up when I turned on the bathroom light at night, I found what I thought was the right switch to take care of that. Unfortunately, that was the master switch. 

We then spent a couple of hours waiting for our devices to be serviceable again and got off to a very late start, maybe it was eleven, I can't remember but I do know that the ride got very hot. The beginning followed the EuroVelo 5 along the Ruche Canal, it was shady and pleasant and it was the best part of the trip as it headed towards Strasbourg. A few kilometers down the road was the first highlight, the town of Dachstein. It had a nicely restored wash house or lavoir, a town gate and some remains of fortified walls.

This looked like a good start to the day.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Finding our way to the bike path
Heart 7 Comment 0
Leaving Molsheim along the bike path which passes close to our hotel (not in the picture)
Heart 4 Comment 0
My stork for the day
Heart 7 Comment 0
Entry gate to Dachstein
Heart 7 Comment 0
The wash house
Heart 10 Comment 0
Some of the old wall
Heart 7 Comment 0

 But we didn't want to go to Strasbourg so I had planned a loop back, hoping we would have good roads and scenery on a less traveled route. The roads weren't terribly interesting, there was a lot of commercial development and generally the towns weren't the picturesque villages we had expected. Maybe we are just spoiled.

Still seeing interesting houses
Heart 7 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting with the corn hanging....is that just for decoration? Or to be used/eaten, do you think?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonI think it's just decoration.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And colorful ones
Heart 7 Comment 1
Keith KleinHi,
Oh to be a paint salesman in Alsace!
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lavender and shocking pink - wow!
Heart 10 Comment 3
Keith ClassenJust love this shot. Your ride brings back fond memories of our ride through the Alsace on our first tour in Europe. All those flower baskets…beautiful! Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Keith ClassenThanks, Keith!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A timbered house in the process of being built or perhaps restored.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesAnd they just had to put a McDonald’s sign there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Kathleen JonesPart of today' culture in France too, I guess.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Kathleen JonesYes, the dreaded fast food enterprise here in the USA. ( UGH)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

The dense network of bicycle paths in this part of Alsace is exceptionally good. It seems there are signposted paths to every destination, almost all of them perfectly paved. We managed to find the probably only really bad path, lumpy rocks and dried mud with deep tractor ruts. No pictures of that, I was too busy staying upright.

There wasn't much that I felt like taking a picture of on this baking path. Stopped here in the shade for a drink from my water bottle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wonder what kind of tree this is with these pods.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe golden rain tree?

https://www.rayon-de-serre.com/their-foliage/443-koelreuteria-paniculata.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat looks right, thanks Bill! The leaves match, too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Charmaine RuppoltThere's a phone app called "Seek". You use the app to take a picture of what you want to identify. As soon as you take the picture, the app quickly identifies the plant, tree, etc. Very handy! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Charmaine RuppoltThanks for the tip! I'll have to try it out!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Karen PoretTo Suzanne Gibson😗thank you Mr. Bill! Always the voice and post person for flora and fauna and other creatures of nature!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

On the way home we stopped at a supermarket for breakfast provisions for the next day, instant coffee and tea bags, madeleines, yoghurt, fromage blanc and bananas. Our room has an electric water kettle and a table with room for two. Perfect. Tomorrow we can get an early start for sure.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 231 km (143 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThe usual annoying trick is to have the plug by the bed controlled by the switch at the entrance. That way, with a lamp plugged in by the bed, the visitor is greeted by a lighted lamp when they enter the room and flip the switch. This is common for when rooms also annoyingly have no overhead lighting. Then there is the stunt where nothing in the room works unless you place a key card in a slot by the door. The thinking is that if you leave the room, taking your key card, everything should be off. Such thinkers grew up before everything needed to be charging, whether you were in the room or not.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe usually try to get two key cards for this very reason.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago