Of Bikes and Stuff: Penelope Splashes Out - A Dutch of Class (Another Three Nations Tour (France - Belgium - Netherlands)) - CycleBlaze

December 26, 2012

Of Bikes and Stuff: Penelope Splashes Out

Penelope and I have made enquiries over the past ten days, and it looks very much as if we are both going to be eligible for Her Majesty's Government's Cycle to Work scheme, and so although we have downgraded our expectations from the beginning, we're both in line to get ourselves a brand new Surly Long Haul Trucker by the middle of next year. The list price from Mosquito Bikes is £1,049, but with tax rebates and all, we can get one for around £700 each. The greatest touring bicycle money can buy, for seven hundred quid? How can we refuse?To get in shape and in training for the tour, Penelope decided to get herself a cheapo commuter, and so we toddled along to Welling Cycles, and after being relieved of £249, Penelope was one Dawes Accona richer.

The bloke at Welling Cycles explains the rear light
Heart 0 Comment 0
John gets arty. Or tries. And fails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A handsome bike, I have to say.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Penelope leaves Welling Cycles with her new bike. She is well chuffed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As regular readers of this column will know, I'm not a big fan of Dawes, but I have to say that for that sum of money, Penelope has got herself a bargain. As of this writing, the Accona has done about 50 - 60 miles, and Penelope and I are both looking forward to getting many more miles under the wheels, before we head to Dover.At the same time as the Accona was being bought, karlyn went into the workshop for a tune-up. It's a little bit academic now, seeing as she's not coming with us to Amsterdam, but I got some work done on her, anyway, as she is now my main about-town-and-commuter bike. Here she is just after coming out. As you can see, the spokes have been replaced (and the rear wheel was trued), the bottom bracket has been replaced, and her front rack has come off (along with the Nashbar which TC and I fitted months back).

The LHT after her stint in the shop...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isn't she wondrous, all the same?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The keen-eyed among you will note a new front light. Indeed, it is a brand new Busch & Müller Lumotec Lyt LED. £41 from dotbike, and fitted by Welling Cycles.

The Busch and Müller Lumotec Lyt LED...
Heart 0 Comment 0

So although it's still just under a week until the first of January 2013, the training and preparation for A Dutch of Class, can be said to be underway. Penelope is getting used to being on two wheels again, after a good few years off..

Penelope gets used to her Accona...
Heart 0 Comment 0

... and I am doing my best to cycle at least seven or eight miles a day (fifteen yesterday, the same today), and revelling in the familiar sense of godlike power that is surging back into my thighs...

This is what LHTs excel at: doing miles without effort. Here she is in Bexleyheath, SE London.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0