Cognac to Domain Du Griffier - The Fab 3 in France 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2023

Cognac to Domain Du Griffier

Heart 0 Comment 0

Kathy was still not feeling up to riding so we decided to drive her up to our hotel for tonight and then come back to Cognac to drop the van off. Maddie and I would then ride the tandem back to our hotel. 

After working everything backwards from when we wanted the day to finish we arrived at a 7:30am departure time from our Cognac B&B. We got away very close to this time and had Kathy at our new hotel by 9:30. She would now have to wait a few hours for our room to be ready before she could go back to bed. 

Maddie and I jumped back in the van with Dorthy the tandem, a panner with some food and a full supply of 5 water bottles. By the time we returned the van we were on the road at about 12 O'clock ready to head back the way we had just come. As we were now starting from the rental van location and starting late in the day I let Komoot plan a road riding route to avoid any unpaved paths. Apart from the first section from the rental agency to downtown Cognac which could not be avoided the route was outstanding. We had more quiet roads and great drivers that left plenty of room when overtaking. The hedges along side the road blocked the strong headwind that had picked up and all in all it was a great day of riding.

Maddie finally finds somewhere that stocks chocolate milk, her go to cycling booster.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the road again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More quiet roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We cycled through wheat for most of the day. The clouds came in and Maddie has us running fast to stay ahead of any rain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wheat fields look very spectacular in real life.
Heart 1 Comment 0
That's not my normal stoker. Not sure how this happened.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Quiche for lunch and Maddie telling me not to take a photo of her while she was eating.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dorthy and Maddie resting at lunch time.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Afternoon saw the clouds disappear and the sun come out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Maddie trying to find out what this crop is. Google said crimson clover.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's pink, it's all mine!!!!! Help me get this over to the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Domain Du Griffier
Heart 1 Comment 0
The golden hour over the wheat field around the hotel
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 92 miles (148 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0