In the Tyrol - 2 Good Blokes get lost in Europe - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2023

In the Tyrol

Kochel am See to Achenkirch

Finally a good forecast, with no rain and plenty of sunshine. We stayed in a virtually empty hotel run by a delightful German woman who did just about every job in the place with aplomb. We filled up on the lavish breakfast and headed out into the fog. 

I’ve become much more adept at direction finding since John got me to download google maps. That and a determined effort to concentrate harder has resulted in my strike rate improving markedly. Conversely Johns map reading abilities seem to be faltering which he blames on his proximity to me. I prefer to call it directional osmosis.

The fog hangs around for a few hours but eventually lifts and we ride in sunshine for the rest of the day.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Directional osmosis. John takes a wrong turn a few days ago and ends up on a railway platform. He blames me.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We’re heading for Austria and the Tyrol. We’re on bike paths again for most of the morning but generally alongside B roads, so not quite as good as the last few days but a hundred times better than riding the Hoskinstown road.

After twenty five kilometres we reach Bad Tolz. It’s market day so we wander around that for a while before riding along the river and having  our picnic lunch. No sausages on bread today. It’s local cheese and ham on dinkelbrochen .

Heart 5 Comment 0
Bad Tolz
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lunch on the river Isar
Heart 5 Comment 0

We follow the river for a good hour and then peel off on a boggy gravel path and climb up to a high altitude lake ‘Sylvensteinspeicher ‘ There seems to be a police blitz on hotted up motorbikes, with most being pulled over and checked rigorously by the twenty grim faced policemen on duty. They took one look at us and wave us through. Thank god for that as I have performance enhancing gummy bears in my front bag. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
A 1929 Bentley in pristine condition, as is the guy peering at it.
Heart 8 Comment 0

The afternoon was punctuated by a steep climb up a gravel muddy road that in truth we walked most of the way. After that we had a good run on a cycle path all the way to Achenkirch a ski village set in the Austrian Tyrol.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Noah and Sofia heading to Barcoo in Azerbaijan over 6 months. Sofia is riding with a fractured finger having fallen off her bike a few days ago.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looks flat but that’s 14% (coincidentally the same mark I got in computing in year 2 Optometry)
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Tonight we have a 2 bedroom apartment with views over the mountains. There’s a supermarket just down the road so we cook up a mass of vegetables with chicken breast in an arabiata sauce that we ferociously devour, washed down with a Grüner Veltliner .

Just one more day to go before a well needed and deserved rest day. All we need to do tonight is to book a nice apartment for two days in Innsbruck. I pass on one whose chief selling point is a recently renovated corridor and we settle on an apartment in the centre of town.

The view from our apartment
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 791 km (491 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierGrĂ¼ner Veltliner! One of the world's great unsung wines. Enjoy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dennis LangleyThey are well represented in Australia as well
Reply to this comment
1 year ago