The Year I Became an Old Man - Title TBD - CycleBlaze

The Year I Became an Old Man

Warning: The following contains the boring health complaints of an aging male bicyclist. I recommend skipping it.

Last year (2023) started off great for me. I was still in good shape from my 24-day tour in September and October of 2022, one of the most enjoyable bike trips I'd done in years, and I was able to summon the motivation to ride 500+ miles (all outside - I abandoned "riding" on a bike trainer years ago) in January. I felt pretty good about this, since the January weather here in Western Kentucky is cold, wet, dreary, and windy most days.

I was even able to do a double metric century on the 28th:

Heart 1 Comment 0

A few days later, though, I caught COVID, for the first - and so far, only - time. The only symptom I had was fatigue, but it was the worst, most debilitating fatigue I've ever experienced. I tested positive every day for the next three weeks. I didn't leave the house, staying isolated and away from my wife, who, fortunately, never caught it.

When I finally tested negative, I ventured outside to walk for a few minutes, and found that my fitness level had plummeted drastically.

I eventually felt like riding the bike again, but I was now shockingly slower. 

By June I thought I felt well enough to try another tour. I rode out of my driveway and headed to Arkansas. Although there were some enjoyable moments on this tour, I was never able to get in the right mindset - mostly because I was anxious about work-related matters - and quit after only seven days.

Back home I did some day rides, but without much enthusiasm. I was still plagued with fatigue. Once, on a visit to my old hometown, I attempted a small group ride with some old cycling friends but I was unceremoniously dropped by them. I decided that was probably the end of fast(ish) group rides for me, something which - I rationalized - I'd never really enjoyed much anyway.

By mid-September I'd had a nagging cold for weeks, but I still wanted to do some sort of semi-ambitious bike tour, so that 2023 wouldn't feel like a complete waste. I did my usual minimal planning, and then headed out on the morning of the 15th.

My original plan was to cross the Ohio River into Indiana at Hawesville, but I never made it. About fifty miles into the ride, coughing, wheezing, and wobbling as I slowly rode up very minor hills, I realized I was in no condition to do a bike tour. I eventually reached a county park, where I lay on a picnic table and called Joy to come get me. Surely this was my most ignominious end to an attempted bike tour ever.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After that, I saw my doctor, who told me I likely had "atypical pneumonia." In a week or so I started to feel a little better, and was able to do some short day rides.

But not longer after that I herniated a disc in my lower back, which was the most excruciatingly painful experience of my life so far, even including the time I had kidney stones.

The herniated disc failed to heal on its own, so I underwent a discectomy on November 14th.

I had a long list of things I was not allowed to do for three months after the surgery, bicycling most definitely included. These months were a difficult time, with some very low points when I continued to have occasional twinges of pain, and feared that the surgery hadn't worked. I determined during this period that if I recovered, I would do a significant bike tour in 2024. I hadn't done a coast-to-coast tour since 2008. I wasn't sure if still had the physical and mental stamina to do such a thing, but I decided that was my goal.

By mid-February the surgery appeared to be a success, and I was riding again, albeit very slowly after three months off the bike.

As I write this, on March 10, 2024, I've done several short rides, and two 100-mile rides on my light, unloaded road bike. I was very slow each time, but I appear to be regaining some stamina.

So maybe I can do a big tour in three months or so.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 18
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Bill ShaneyfeltAt age 78, and seemingly constant new health issues, I can well relate!

All I can say is, --->NEVER QUIT
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Karen PoretJeff.. THANK YOU for your honest “health” comments! I am “only” 12 days after a lumpectomy and am really upset I feel and can move “fine”, except it is “too soon” to resume “normal activities”, as in biking, hiking, exercising in MY ways..yet. Your 3 + months gives me pause..I will get there..and by mid May, I will be like you—on a bicycle, touring!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeff LeeTo Karen PoretHi Karen,

Good luck with your recovery! I think it's especially hard for active people like us to have to follow "doctor's orders" after a surgery or other significant medical treatment.

Jeff
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeff LeeTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill! I will try to take your advice. And I hope to take some photos of flora and fauna for you to identify during the tour ;)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauI never thought the day would come, but I became an old man last year too. I reached the age where my health insurance company told me I had to start using Medicare for my primary health care provider.

I've had a few setbacks in the past and overcame them. I'm confident you are young enough to overcome them, and with a cross-country tour in the works, I think YOU are confident that you can overcome them too.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
George HallThanks for being honest and discussing your health challenges. Nobody can truly know what another person has had to deal with, but still I suspect that many of us in the "not so young and strong anymore" category can relate to your health issues. I developed a herniated disc in late 2021 - you described it very well - it took close to a year to get over it without surgery and it still occasionally reminds me of it's presence. You are young and strong and I know from experience that you will recover from these afflictions and roll on to more great cycling adventures. I'll be following along on your upcoming adventure.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeff LeeTo Gregory GarceauThanks, Greg. I guess I became an old man prematurely, because it will be a while before I can actually qualify for Medicare... But it's not *too* far in the distant future :(
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeff LeeTo George HallThanks, George! I feel a little sheepish writing about last year's maladies, when things could have been a lot worse, of course.

I've enjoyed reading about your recent tours, and hope you can do another one in 2024.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
John PickettHi Jeff
Herniated disc? Been there, done that. Unbelievably painful. Couldn't stand for ten seconds without blinding pain. My discectomy worked wonders. I hope you have the same experience. (Ten years with absolutely no back issues whatsoever.)

Now it's 30 years on and I have lumbar spinal stenosis. I've had it for at least eight years. In that time I've ridden about 80,000 miles including over 10,000 miles of loaded touring.

At 68 I have all kinds of other aches and pains but I'm going to start a tour from DC to Tulsa on Monday. Knock wood.

Good luck.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago